An agricultural robot or agribot is a robot deployed for agricultural purposes. The main area of application of robots in agriculture today is at the harvesting stage. There are many benefits for the agricultural industry, including a higher quality of fresh produce, lower production costs, and less need for manual labor. Many possible emerging applications exist (see below).
- driverless tractor / sprayer
- fruit picking
- horticultural tasks (pruning, weeding, spraying and monitoring)
- livestock applications (livestock robotics): automatic milking, washing, castrating, sheep shearing
Relevant OSE Wiki pages
- Wikipedia: Agricultural Robot and Open-source robotics
- "Japan's Next Generation of Farmers Could Be Robots"
- Business Insider (Aug. 2016 article): "7 robots that are replacing farm workers around the world"