Factor e Farm Roles and Responsibilities
Note: This is older work from 2012 and needs to be updates for developments as of early 2015)
Factor e Farm is a a community-in-the-making. It is not just any community. The intent is a Post-Scarcity, Autonomous, Modern, Open Source, Distributive Enterprise, Learning, Contract Community. It is an experimental community with a population limit of 30 people - on 30 acres - engaging in demonstrating the limits to creating a modern economy based on local, on-site resources. Our aim is to create a modern standard of living, up to production of semiconductors and metals, on the small scale of a farm - while requiring 2 hours of labor per day to provide all trappings of modern civilization. The basic governance is meritocracy: role-based authority, where individuals are - by merit - entrusted with stewardship over various parts of the community.
Roles and Responsibilities
Upon entering each participant agrees to a certain set of roles and responsibilities.
The community consists of a college-like Campus:
These are the core values:
- Factor e Farm is primarily a meritocracy. People with merit take on specific roles.
- Authority is gained by fulfilling roles and developing a track record of success.
- In general, be respectful of other people's domains.
- Ask questions before criticizing others in order to understand why things are done the way they are.
- In general, propose solutions instead of focusing on problems.
- Authorized people only in workshop.
- Check in with domain leaders to identify their boundaries. Feel free to ask them why those boundaries exist so that you understand them.
- We promote a culture where people express their needs non-violently and in a mature way. We advocate takings to express yourself.
These are the people who are needed to produce a modern civilization at two hours of labor per day. It may seem ambitious to claim aluminum or semiconductor fabrication with 1 person guiding that effort; we will explore these points in detail. See Core Team Character Values.
(Person - colloquial - purpose - responsibilities - authority over resources - transparency - reporting - collaboration)
- Founder - Benign Dictator. The lead organizer and protector of the community mission. Determines the long-term character and direction of the community, and invites community members to join based on a voluntary social contract. Runs community like an enterprise of life-work integration. Inspires the community to learn. Lead contributor of strategic development priorities. Steward of natural resources of community in conjunction with Farm Director, Site Manager, and Construction Director.
- Executive Assistant - Assistant to the Founder. Maintains organizational structure and land stewardship legalities in good standing.
- Community Manager - Facilitates positive on-site relationships and conflict resolution. Provides hospitality and tours. Prepares participation contracts. Responsible for recruiting, interviewing, hiring and firing. Organizes Flash Mobs for development.
- Farm Director - Manages all farm operations including field crops, garden, orchard, nursery, aquaculture, fiber crops, animal husbandry, and others. Produces a full, year-round diet for participants. Generates approximately $100k of value-added agricultural value per year from 30 acres.
- Food Alchemist - manages a wide range of food processing operations, including grain storage, bakery, dairy, fermentation, distillation, oil expression, and others. Collaborates with Farm Director on feedstock production.
- Forest Farmer - Provides various forest- and biomass products. Produces edible forest-scape, lumber, mushrooms, pelletized biomass fuel, forage zones, and bioplastics.
- Production Director - Manages collaborative production runs for bootstrap funding the community. Guides producers in making technological artifacts. Produces GVCS tools on-demand.
- Site Manager - manages energy provision, fuel production, waterworks, site grooming, material cycles, and tours.
- Construction Director - manages creation and maintenance of the built environment. Manages fiber crop planting. Directs natural building workshops. Experiments with building innovation.
- Community Health Provider - The Doctor's Nemesis. Community nurse + emergency medic, cook, internal and external exercise instructor and provider. Maintains ping-pong table, swimming pool, and sauna. Understands food as medicine, promotes lifestyle habits as preventive medicine.
- Librarian - manages Civilization Starter Kit and other publishing. Responsible for layout, graphic design, animation and augmented reality training materials.
- Digital Blacksmith - Manages the development of precision machining infrastructure, hot metal processing, automated production, and other fabrication optimization developments. Advances production techniques for use by the Production Director. Generalist crazy engineer.
- Strategic Partnerships Director - Generates collaboration with allied efforts.
- Web Director - maintains servers, develops online collaboration platform
- Financial Director - Manages community finances + bean counting, provides radical financial transparency, fabricates resource-based currency.
- Semiconductor Engineer - Runs a silicon foundry and clean room.
- Metallurgist - manages melting, casting, and alloying operations with scrap steel as feedstock.
- Materials Artist - The Open Source Industrial Chemist. Provides pottery, ceramics, cloth, cement, aluminum, bioplastic, glass, carbon, oxygen, and other material resource transformations from on-site materials.
- Interns - 5 interns for agriculture, production, and construction.
- Videographer - aka Factor e Farm Documenter - produces video - both instructionals and day-to-day documentation of community and technical development.
- Documentation Director - Sets standards for OSE documentation, and is responsible for the organizational learning necessary for best practices to spread throughout the OSE development community.
- Communications Director - Key disseminator of OSE culture. Journalist and blogger of OSE progress - documenting philosophical, organizational, and technical development of OSE and the Global Village Construction Set. Manages online presence and social networks.
- CAD Director - Oversees development of open source CAD platform, and manages CAD Sprints.
- Documentation Community Manager - Nurtures a documentation community and organizes Book Sprints. Oversees the on-site and global community of developers with an emphasis on generating project documentation in a variety of formats.
- Director of Learning - Works with other Documentation Team members to produce rapid learning materials on key topics of relevance to open source economic development. Facilitates on-site cross-training sessions and remote education programs.
- Resource Developer - Leverages nonprofit sources for funding and in-kind donations.
Everyone is required to cross train one day per week, and to participate in 'barnraising' construction tasks as well as group plantout/harvest sessions. Participants are all required to maintain a blog of their activity, with weekly video updates in conjunction with the videographer.