(Redirected from Honing)
Honing provides a precise finish of a cylinder to accept a piston, while retaining a cross-hatch imperfection that allows oil to remain on the walls to promote lubrication
- The Application of the Process of Honing to Engine Cylenders, Pnuematic Cylenders, Hydraulic Cylenders, and the like
- Gives a precision finish to the cylinder bore
- Honing may be considered a self-truing grinding process - . As a result of the averaging effect, the accuracy of a honed component often exceeds the accuracy of the machine tool that created it.
Other Means to Bore Finishing
- Dedicated machines and cutters can also be used (boring machines), but the boring bit can also be mounted on a mill - 
- Drilling - good for only 10 mil in 1" or larger drills - 
- Milling holes - 1 mil with a boring bar , from Practical Machinist - 
Seamless Tube, Seamed, and DOM
- DOM has a seam, so it's not seamless. It is processed over a mandrel to hide seam.
- Seamless is actually extruded - a seam is never formed
- Seamed is welded
- DOM is welded then drawn over a mandrel
- This supplier uses DOM and seamless for hydraulic cylinders - 
- Metals by the foot - 12" of 4.5"x0.25" tubing - $44 -