Metal Injection Molding Pellets
(Redirected from MIM)
Metal injection molding uses pellets made of plastic binder and metal.
These are injected into a mold. Then the product is sintered to produce a 100% metal part.
- Using avilable MIM pellets - one should be able to convert these into 3D printing filament using a filament maker.
- If the binder is polypropylene, the filament can be printed in a high temperature 3D printer chamber.
- The part produced can be sintered to get a 100% metal part.
- Thus, here is a way to generate 3D printing filament-based full metal 3D printing in any metal.
- Others are already doing it - but not using filament - but pellets: Metal Injection Molding Pellet 3D Printing.
- Also, Virtual Foundry is producing 3D printing filament from proprietary formulations of plastic, additives, and metal powder