3D Printed Bike
Entire Frame, Direct Print
- Average bike frame weight - 5 lb for non-composite frames
- To get same strength, 50 lb plastic frame would have to be printed (PC plastic is 1/10th the strength of steel). However, this can be optimized by making wider tube sections for more strength.
- What is a geometry that would work if we print a 100% polycarbonate frame? Calculations would have to be done.
- Is there any Open Source Bike CAD?
- Idea is to print a full skeleton, then put epoxy + fiberglass on top. Thus, the 3D printing only makes the form quick.
- This would be labor intensive but much less so than starting from scratch.
- Advantage of 3D printing 100% is that the labor requirement is much lower. The weight will be larger because nothing beats the strength of fibers.