3D Printed PEI Surface
- PEI costs about $37 for 1/2 lb at McMaster Carr - 
- About $75/lb
- What if we 3D print it from resin at $10/lb? See High Temperature 3D Printing Printing on a flat surface would give a very flat side.
- Current PEI sheet that OSE uses is 1mm thick. We use 0.22 of a sheet, or about 50 grams (.12 lb).
- Thus, printing our own gets us a sheet for 1/20 of $20/kg - or about $1. This is about 1/12 our current cost (we get 3 surfaces per 12x24" sheet.
- Developing filament-making and printing in PEI is worthwhile to produce high value printing surfaces for 3D printers.