Team Culturing Information
last updated: 22. April, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - AJ Manoulian, Irish/Armenian/American
- Location – Detroit, Michigan, United States
- Contact Information –
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV –
- Hobbies and Pastimes - Writing code, designing hardware, making pizza and then eating it, internal and external combustion engines, DIY, open-source, learning, and having fun.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes. I share the ideals of the open-source culture and sharing of knowledge.
- Why are you interested in this work?
I have not yet had a chance to give back to the open-source community that has helped me out so much. I see the GVCS as a way to not only give back, but also help out the city I live in.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
Maybe one day when my workload lightens.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
I will most definitely use the charge controller myself, and possibly other pieces of the GVCS technologies if the need arises.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
I am a novice fabricator myself, so if I did decide to implement any of the GVCS tech, I would do the fabrication myself.
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
I am very interested in the application of the GVCS to aid in the development of the City of Detroit.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
While I am currently unable to act as a leader in the start-up of Industry 2.0 in my community, I would be more than willing to lend a hand to anyone interested in leading the movement.
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
Very much so. There are more and more urban farms popping up in Detroit, and we have so much open land that it may be possible to feed a large portion of the cities population with food that is grown and harvested completely within the city limits.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Yes if the need arises for me to contribute I would be willing to do so.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Possibly, if it made sense for me.
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
Yes, I am very interested in renewable energy production. In particular the small scale aspect of it.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes, especially in the city of Detroit.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
- Other comments
I am very happy to be a part of this. I think that the information generated through the GVCS can be used in cities like Detroit that have suffered major economic collapse, and are working towards becoming more self-reliant.
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
I have not contributed anything yet, but I am currently working on development of an open-source charge controller that can be used to charge batteries/battery banks.
- I am a technical writer and blogger.
- I have some experience in public speaking and networking.
- I am familiar with processing for writing code for the arduino platform.
- None of the above.
- I would not be the person for this type of job.
- I love to cook. I can cook for a group of well over 20. I can also grow my own food. I have only done so on a very small scale thus far. I have a small amount of experience in canning food.
- I have designed and build circuits. I have also written firmware for microprocessors within the circuit. I am a noobie at designing software to interface with the circuits.
- I have novice fabrication skills. I am very well versed in circuit prototyping.
Electronics and Magnetics
- I am somewhat familiar with all of these things. I have a BSEE.
- I am somewhat familiar with motors/steppers/servos.
- None of the above.
- Electrical Engineering.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I am going to work on designing an open-source charge controller for the GVCS.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Yes, about 10 hours per week.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
No, I want to do this for free.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
Not at this time.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
Not at this time.
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
I am not a True Fan at this time. I'm not really able to give financially, so I figured I would volunteer my time and skills.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
Possibly, if the time was right and it made sense.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
As of right now, I cannot commit to do so.