Alan R Truner
Team Culturing Information
last updated: 8. February, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Alan R. Truner, American
- Location – Wilmington Delaware
- Contact Information – firstname.lastname@example.org(302) 353 9425
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV –
Alan Turner 1601 Greenhill Ave (302) 353-9425 Wilmington, DE 19806 email@example.com
SUMMARY: 20 Years diverse experience in: residential, commercial, and institutional design CADD programs include: AutoCAD, Inventor, Arris, Microstation, Rhino, and Sketchup Design experience from multi-acre development projects to cabinetry. CLARB certified landscape architect ADA specialist
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: FixtureOne, Philadelphia, PA 2006-2009
Store Fixture Designer – AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor; Created fabrication drawings for woodworkers, sheet metal workers, and welders from client concepts. Created client fit-out drawings. Selected and sourced special parts as required. Set up and organized CADD library. Major Clients: DSW Shoes, MW Tux, David's Bridal, Le Gourmet Chef, Macy's, H&M
StudioJAED, Wilmington, DE 2005-2006
CADD Technician – AutoCAD Architectural Desktop Assistant to primary architect. Coordinated architectural plans with mechanical mechanical and engineering drawings. Set up standard layer structures and sheet sets for new projects. Created schedules from drawing meta-information. Drew quick explanatory sketch plans as needed. Created open office plans. Worked closely with project architects and engineers.
Major Projects: Providence, R.I. School surveys, Philadelphia School District renovations, Lewes, DE Department of Natural Resources field office, A. I. Dupont School ADA compliance. Program4 Engineering , Coatesville, PA 2004 Control Panel Fabricator Assembled and wired industrial control panels from engineering drawings
Production Systems Automation, Aston, PA 2002-2003
Control Panel Fabricator, CADD librarian Assembled and wired industrial control panels from engineering drawings, maintained inventory of stock parts.
Roberts Filter Group, Philadelphia, PA 2000-2002
Industrial Electrician Assembled and wired PLC, relay and pneumatic logic industrial control panels from engineering drawings. Panel Shop Manager Maintained inventory of stock parts, supervised shop staff, created sketches of custom parts for fabrication as needed. Plant Electrician Troubleshoot and repaired single-phase and three-phase shop equipment Williamson School of the Mechanical Trades, Media, PA 2000
AutoCAD instructor (Sabbatical semester substitute) Autocad instructor for all levels at a trade school teaching carpentry, masonry, power plant, painting, and landscape maintenance.
Cee Jay Frederick Associates, West Chester, PA 1997-1999
Landscape Architect Landscape design and site planning for regional shopping centers and multifamily housing projects. Grading and drainage, zoning and code review, planting plans and construction documents. ADA Specialist. (AutoCAD and conventional drafting)
Major Projects: Exton Square Mall, Plymouth Meeting Mall, Valley View Townhouses, Exton Town Center
Ace English Academy, Chuncheon City, South Korea 1996
Hoffman, O'brien, Look, Taube & Chiang, Ithaca, NY 1993-1995
Architectural Draftsman, ADA specialist. (AutoCAD) Landscape designer and site planner for medical and educational facilities. Responsible for Grading, drainage, code review, site planning, construction documents.
Major Projects: Tompkins County Hospital, Syracuse University Sports Center, Hutchings Psychiatric Hospital, Lansing Skilled Nursing Facility
Shapiro, Petrauskas, Gelber, Philadelphia, PA 1989-1993
Architectural Draftsman (AutoCAD) Landscape design and site planning for office buildings and shopping centers, Grading, drainage, site planning, planting plans, construction documents. CADD Manager.
Major Projects: The Gallery Food Court, Granite Run Mall, Deptford Mall, Hanson Office Complex
Salkin Group, Philadelphia, PA 1986-1989
Site Planner and Architectural Draftsman (Arris) Landscape designer and site planner for office buildings, multifamily housing, and planned unit developments. Grading, drainage, zoning and code review, site analysis and planning, construction documents. CADD Manager and instructor and Architectural draftsman.
Major Projects: Museum Towers, Walnut Towers, Canal Pointe, Independence Place, Town of Woodhaven
EDUCATION: Bachelors in Agriculture, concentration in ornamental horticulture – University of Delaware Graduate studies in Landscape Architecture – Cornell University
- Hobbies and Pastimes - I garden, host the gardening forum on The Well, and play with lasers. Also occasionally write, sometimes about architecture, sometimes intentionally bad poetry.There is more which may be interesting or not here: www.well.com/user/arturner
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes. I have put all the information of a couple of my projects and freely answered any questions when emailed.
- Why are you interested in this work?
Industrial strength Lego sounds like a brilliant idea to me.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
I suppose. I have enjoyed teaching in the past, but I think my CADD expertise would be a better use of my skills for you.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
I'm not even sure what that means.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
I have no application for your technologies myself at this time.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
No. My dog has a better sense for business than I do.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
No. I don't think that's a viable enterprise for Wilmington, Delaware
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
That's a good idea.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Not particularly, but I can write.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
You do need accurate mechanical drawings of your machines. That's what I'm good at.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
I'd work on that.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
I think that's a good idea, but I am not a community leader.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
Buh? You mean like Ted Kaczynski's Cabin?
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
Don't know. Perhaps by allowing people to opt out.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
I imagine that simpler machines use fewer resources.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
You have a spelling error.The most effective method for addressing overpopulation has been educating women.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
I imagine that simpler machines use fewer resources. They probably have a smaller environmental footprint as well.
- Other comments
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
- I have excellent CADD drafting skills with several programs, and exceptional 3-D visualization skills.If you let me measure something, I can draw it to whatever level of detail is required and break out the individual parts and draw them as well. I've worked with cabinet carpenters, metal workers, and industrial plant equipment manufacturers.
- I do belong to a somewhat influential social network.
- I don't write programs, I just use them.
- As I said above, my dog has a better head for business than I do.
- Yes to all of the above.
- I've been running CADD software in architectural and engineering offices since 1987. I don't know Blender, but using a different CADD program is about as complicated as driving someone else's car to me.
- I have worked on the renovation of several houses in Philadelphia, including some that had no plumbing or electricity when we started.
Electronics and Magnetics
- I ran a UL certified electrical control panel shop, but I was not very involved in design, mainly fabrication.
- I've built relay logics, PLC controlled, and pneumatically controlled equipment. Again, I was not in the design department, but of course I had to know how they worked to build them.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
From what I saw on your website, you need documentation of your machines. That is the skill I am offering. I am an expert CADD draftsman and have managed CADD systems and large libraries of components for architectural and engineering firms. My industrial experience means that I also bring mechanical fabrication skills, unlike a conventional architectural CADD draftsman.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
That's negotiable. By the nature of the type of work I am offering to do, I would have to be at your site, in order to document your machines.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Is this like joining the Moonies or something? I just like to make good drawings of well designed things.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
It's always fun to see something go from the computer to real life.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Possibly. I am not big on mixing work and social life, though. I am more interested in designing and documenting interesting things.