Alvaro F Boirac
Team Culturing Information
last updated: 31. May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Alvaro
- Location (city, country) - Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) - e: alphydan (at) gmail (dot) com, t: @alphydan, s: alvaro.feito
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV -
MSc Theoretical Physics (Madrid, Spain)
PhD in Quantum Physics (Imperial College, London)
Degree in PedagogyExperience:
Engineers without Borders (@Uni).
International Design and Development Summit participant.
2 years working in the wind industry (large scale, >2MW)
I have lived in Spain, USA, United Kingdom, Germany and Denmark.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
certainly. At work, at home, with friends, in the bathtub, every-time I can!
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
Mostly to change the world for the better!
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
I think the largest contribution is to demonstrate that it is possible. Show that open source and small scale works.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
I would need more savings / income.
- What are you missing in the project?
More focus and documentation on agriculture / food / health / social interaction. A deeper self-sufficiency assessment (Energy I/O goal)
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
Why do all machines of the construction set look black? :) Not critical, but not sexy either.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Communications --I speak Spanish, French, English and German, blog and I am a good speaker, if I may say so myself! :) (especially to explain complex concepts)
I also use Poetry and Dance to communicate.
Computer Support --5 years of linux experience, 2 years of web development (python, django, drupal, wordpress, html, css).
Math: LaTeX, Octave, Python, ...
Design --Some web and logo design experience
Natural Building --have done a full reform of a mountain house (structural beams, lifting stone walls, treating wood, making cement floors, insulating with hemp, re-doing roof, etc).
Engineering --PhD in theoretical physics. With some experimental involvement with lasers. Worked 2 years in the wind industry.
Energy --Worked with life-cycle-analysis of energy systems, analysed wind potential of sites, have done repairs in wind-turbines. Good grasp of world energy situation (I maintain a Spanish blog on it www.cenit-del-petroleo.com). Currently working on a small-scale energy web-startup
Video/Graphics --user of Inkscape, Gimp, Blender,
Education --I very much like teaching. I have a degree in pedagogy, have worked as private teacher, tutor for baccalaureate, ... mostly teaching science.
Chemistry --Good theoretical foundation. As a physicist I can easily learn, grasp and improve concepts.
Product Design --Experience in building and designing Appropriate technology (solar ovens, water filters, ropeways, ram-pumps). I collaborated with MIT's http://iddsummit.org/ developing millet threshers, manual brick presses, battery chargers, etc.
- How have you already contributed to the project?
Small contributions. I updated the brochure, made a few graphs, and participated in OSE-Europe discussions.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
As a first step, I would like to help develop renewable energy solutions. I can definitely help with the wind turbine.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
3h/week at the moment (as I have a full time job + a startup on the back-burner)
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
no money yet.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
I may be jobless soon and need all my savings for a startup.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
yes, in a couple of years.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.