Team Culturing Information
last updated: 11. April, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Angel Rodriguez, American
- Location - Sebastopol, USA
- Contact Information - email@example.com
- Introductory Video - See https://vimeo.com/19055974
- Resume/CV -
S. ANGEL RODRIGUEZ
SUSTAINABILITY SPECIALIST • DIRECTOR • EDUCATOR
High energy and progressive with more than two decades of experience driving efficiencies, leading transformational initiatives, and creating innovative curriculum, programs, and processes that increase productivity and profitability. A talented team-‐builder, motivator, and educator who infuses students and staff with the tools and capabilities needed to achieve high performance. Identifies, assesses, and mitigates risk through expert operations and program management skills, along with the use of innovative, technologically advanced business solutions.
Areas of Strength
Business Intelligence/ Change Management/ Process Improvement /Project Management/ Public Relations/ Staff Management/ Strategic Planning/ Team Leadership/ Team Motivation/ Training & Development/ Risk Management/ Value Creation
Sustainable Living Institute Sebastopol, CA DIRECTOR/SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATOR 2006 – present Spearheaded numerous community fundraising and public relations events to raise awareness and drive interest in sustainability. Expanded public awareness of sustainable living strategies through seminars and hands-‐on workshops. Partnered with sustainability-‐focused organizations to combine efforts and achieve mutual goals. Provided personal and business sustainability consultation; assisted with planning, coordination, and/or management of methods that measured and tracked energy efficiency, reduced greenhouse gas production, and focused on community localization. • Conceptualized and developed a feasible one-‐year curriculum model for transition to sustainable living.
California Human Development Corporation Santa Rosa, CA ENERGY SPECIALIST 2012-‐present Utilized Pacific Gas and Electric Company’s database to determine low-‐income residential areas of Sonoma, Mendocino, Marin, and Napa Counties. Performed outreach efforts for their Energy Partners Program to extend energy conservation opportunities for low-‐income English and Spanish speaking residents. Interviewed clients and analyzed income records and other data to determine eligibility. Conducted complete in-‐home energy inspections and assessments. Determined weatherization measures needed to maximize the energy efficiency of client homes. Provided energy education and obtained necessary weatherization services to complete measures.
Health Esteem Sebastopol, CA 2003 – 2005 DIRECTOR/PROGRAM MANAGER Presented educational and integrative holistic health, wellness and sustainability courses to individuals, community groups and organizations. Taught practical applications of lifestyle skills, techniques, and technologies that conserved energy and natural resources, lowered carbon footprint and promoted community health and sustainability. • Enabled individual and community transition to wellness and sustainability through a comprehensive dietary/lifestyle questionnaire, assessment, and integrative program plan.
Century 21 Heritage Oakland, CA 2002 MANAGER Delivered performance-‐focused direction in the management of real estate transactions for a 30+-‐agent office, including negotiating contracts and property agreements. Created an environment of high performance for an operations leadership team, providing them with the tools and techniques to meet and exceed client expectations, as well as organizational objectives. Pierce Ballinger Orinda, CA 1996 – 2001 OPERATIONS MANAGER Optimized the operational performance of the firm by standardizing and directing all day-‐to-‐day business procedures and information management systems. Expanded the competitive advantage by creating and implementing innovative marketing initiatives to drive new business. Enhanced internal and external stakeholder knowledge by coordinating and delivering employee training and public education programs. • Drove a dramatic increase in annual sales from $3M to $30M in only two years with the creation and launch of a “by referral only” marketing program. • Helped grow the company to become the highest-‐ranked realty in Northern California.
Trinity Herb Occidental, CA 1994 – 1996 PRODUCTION MANAGER Built on in-‐depth industry knowledge to optimize the performance of this leading production facility. Developed and administered operational budgets; conducting thorough analyses of costs, operations, and forecasts to ensure maximum profitability. Trained, mentored, and reviewed employee performance for optimal productivity. • Introduced operational improvement initiatives that resulted in an increase of sales from $1.2M to $2.9M, decreased order errors from 10% to less than 1%, and improved customer satisfaction scores from 78% to 94%, all within a one-‐year period.
Distribution Manager, San Francisco Common-‐Operating Warehouse, San Francisco, CA Director of Distribution, SA Rodriguez & Associates, Sebastopol, CA Co-‐Owner, Country People’s Warehouse, Santa Rosa, CA
Education and Training Experience
PhD candidate, Sustainability Education Prescott College, Prescott, AZ
MA, Sustainable Communities; A Model of Transition for Sustainable Living Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA
BA, Culture, Ecology & Sustainable Community; Holistic Nutrition New College, Santa Rosa, CA
- Energy Specialist Certificate, PG&E Training Center, Stockton, CA
- Green Building Certificate Program, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA
- Sustainable Landscaping Certificate Program, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA
- Nutrition Educator Certificate, Bauman College, Penngrove, CA
- Transition Town Training, Transition US, Dominican University, San Rafael, CA
- Diploma in Computers for Business Applications, Business Education Technologies, Oakland, CA *Certificate of Completion, Small Business Management, Santa Rosa Jr. College, Santa Rosa, CA *Certificate in Herbal Studies, California School of Herbal Studies, Forestville, CA
- Certificate of Completion, Small Business Management, U.C. Berkeley Extension, San Francisco, CA
- Certificate in Industrial Maintenance Mechanics, CETA Program, Oakland, CA
Service to Others
- CittaSlow Sebastopol, Steering Committee Member, Hospitality-‐ Eco/Edu Tourism, Sebastopol, CA *Transition Sebastopol, Initiating Team/Council Member, Education/Outreach Workgroups, Sebastopol, CA *Sustainable Living Institute, Founder, Director, Sebastopol, CA
- Leadership Management Training & Mentorship Program, The Worldwide Group, Sebastopol, CA
- San Francisco Police Athletic League, Boxing Program Director, San Francisco, CA
- Earth Day, Program Director, San Bruno, CA
MS Office Suite, ACT, and various database management software
Hobbies and Pastimes -
I am a former professional athlete. I have a passion for health and fitness, which I developed as a young adult working with my father, who was a Mr. America, in his gyms. It was from this foundation that I became comfortable in the business environment and began my study of business and personal development. I have been invited to organize business operations for several different companies due to my successes, and have received achievement awards in these industries for top businesses in California.
My focus today has changed due to climate change, and its associated impacts on health and the environment, which has led me to teaching and developing sustainability programs that integrate methods of living, into the daily lives of people, which foster social responsibility, cultivate the sustainable business community, and facilitate sustainable lifestyles. I am founder of the Sustainable Living Institute, own several businesses that provide education and sustainable services, and also offer business consultation to environmental organizations.
I am actively involved on the initiating team of my local Transition town, along with several of its working groups, and am the Education Coordinator for the Northern California Earth Institute.
I hold a master’s degree in Sustainable Communities, and am developing a Model of Transition for Sustainable Living as a one-year course curriculum for both a community education course, and for a course curriculum at the university level. I am currently pursuing a PhD in Sustainable Education.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
- Why are you interested in this work?
The GVCS is the missing element of relocalization. It offers the means of product at the local level for communities.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
Climate change, resource depletion, and economic instability are conceivably the most pressing issues facing the world at the beginning of the second decade of the 21st century. These challenges and their respective magnitudes are compounding faster than the level of the activity being implemented toward their solutions. While climate change is now well documented and becoming more visible in the media, there is less public awareness around the issue of declining resources, especially fossil fuels. The imminent convergence of the decline of resources, coupled with economic instability, may well delay the extent of adaptations necessary to mitigate the threats posed by climate change.Government thinking on mitigation includes massive plans of adaptations, infrastructure, and investments. Business thinking on mitigation includes the manufacture of green technologies and environmentally friendly products and services to provide for the growing consumer demand to participate in the solutions. These solutions, while an important aspect of raising public awareness of these challenges, do not solve the problems. Moreover, some of these solutions actually require more of the declining resources that are already in short supply and do not necessitate critical timeframes equal to the speed and scope of the endeavor. The GVCS solves each of the problems, and offers solutions that lead to sustainability. Through its core values and specifications for manufacture, the GVCS mitigates climate change. The materials necessary for their manufacture are from recycled materials, and the GVCS provides a means of production for economic relocalization that develops local resilience.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
I want my community to use the GVCS technologies. I personally do not want to build them, however I would assist other community members in their building.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
Yes I am, specifically in building a village.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Yes. Utilizing the GVCS as a transition tool to sustainability.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
The 50-2-2 planBy building 50 machines in 2 years and applying their operation in a community as the economic foundation.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
Yes, for my local community.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes, as outlined above.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
Hmmm, bug out hut?
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
The GVCS could offer a closed system of local economics that could eliminate the need for global monetary systems, utilizing a local currency.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
Resource conflicts are contingent upon declining resources. If resources are sourced from existing recycled materials, there are no conflicts. We then have, in fact, an abundance of resources.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
Overpopulation is the elephant in the room that no one talks about. Overpopulation stresses need. Need for everything mulitiplied by the amount that over needs. Small communities of 200-300 people lived sustainably for thousands of years together until the advent of industrialization, and cheap energy. People, like creatures in nature, algae for example, expand to the level of their resources. History and statistics show that when a decline in resources occurs, population also declines. So... if I were to make a big jump, I could surmise that if the GVCS provides for local sustainability, and not for more resources than the community could utilize at a given time, then perhaps population would begin to decline and stabilize.However, if the GVCS were to be used on a wide-scale, without their core values or specifications being maintained, then perhaps the notion of abundance, extra, and more than just enough, would maintain overpopulation.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
Absolutely. The core values and specifications for the GVCS directly address the issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation by using recycled materials, and in such a way that it restores the environment. However, without the core values and specifications, the GVCS can also be used in ways that add to resource depletion and environmental degradation.
- Other comments
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
Time, energy, resources and 2 events.
- I have created and implemented marketing systems.
- I have experience in strategic development, project management, operations management, non-profit organizations, public event organizing, community organizing and public speaking. I am a good networker.
- I have managed data and contact management systems.
- I have written business plans.
- Yes I can cook. Yes, I can cook for a gorup of 20, because I have owned a healthy food catering business. I can grow food on a limited basis. I have installed and maintained a garden and chickens. I have worked in a commercial enterprise growing elements of california cuisine for restaurants, including baby lettuces, purple basil, borage flowers, nasturtiums, blackberries, etc. I am trained in Herbal Therapeutics, Botanical Research, Wildcrafting, and Plant Identification. I am also a certified Nutrition Educator with a bachelors degree in Holistic Nutrition.
- I design business systems.
- I am a certified industrial maintenance mechanic. I have soldered, welded, run forklifts, repaired, wired/rewired aircraft, and helped build, wire, sheetrock and paint homes.
Electronics and Magnetics
- Limited exposure to converters, inverters.
- Basic metallurgy course.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Yes, through operational organization, team building and systemization.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Dependent on project, and projected hours.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Yes, and no. Yes I am a true fan, but no I do not pay into a fund, I contribute my time and energy.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
Yes, I would like to see myself working with you all on a full-time basis.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
Yes, in a village situation.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Yes. I have lived and worked in community before, and am interested in living in an intentional community now, as soon as possible.