Applications of the GVCS
Once the GVCS is developed, these are some of the applications that we foresee:
- A small enterprise that builds Open source machines at 5x lower cost that meet or exceed industry standards wile embodying simplicity, modularity, and lifetime design that make these machines 50x more cost effective over their entire life cycle.
- OSE Incubator - training facility for Distributive Enterprise based on the GVCS
- OSE Campus - a production facility (think Walmart except with on-site custom production with material sourcing from within a few mile radius)
- R&D Center for Open Source Economic Development - think OSE Incubator with heavy R&D component, including offering Ph.D. programs in open source economic development
- Integrated Agriculture Operation - standard CSA except year-round, full-diet. This makes fresh, local, organic food available to the common man by reducing production cost via access to equipment, genetic stock, and techniques. Part of this operation is a significant genetic repository and propagation capacity. Reconnects the human to nature - Wendell Berry's dream.
- Autonomous House Construction -independent home building contractors committed to autonomous housing construction at a cost affordable to the common person. Uses modern steam CHP, biogas electricity, wind power, and solar concentrator.
- Village Development, Developed and Undeveloped World - modern cookie-cutter developer, except including agriculture, fabrication, energy, other production streams for creating a comprehensive economy; New Urbanism with a complete, built in economy.
- Center of human evolution - voluntary simplicity + right livelihood to produce a small community <200 people where a modern standard of material existence is produced on 2 hours per day of work based on local resources -such that the rest of one's time contributes to autonomy for the pursuit of mastery consistent with higher purpose (Daniel Pink)
- Community Energy - To make renewable energy available on the community level - biogas electric, pelletized biomass, solar concentrator, and wind power. Take the modern utility minus coal, natural gas, and nukes.
- Other fabrication focus facilities:
- Digital fabrication and prototyping facility - Open Source TechShop at 1/10 the cost due to usage of open source fabrication machines; also Cloudfab
- Collaborative Production Facility - think Hackerspace with real products and high social coordination. Reconnecting humans to their productive potential. Think New Dawn Engineering minus the labor via simplicity, modularity, design-for-fabrication, and digital fabrication.
- Off-grid digital fabrication facilities - Open Source Techshop outside of industrialized areas. Think Technological Leapfrogging.)
- Then there is third world aid:
- Pilot infrastructure-building and poverty-alleviation projects for humanitarian ends. (think Working Villages International + open source equipment)
- Third world development. Critique: Microfactory infrastructure needs to be sequenced prior to machine deployment so target population can be in full control of the technology.
Applications of the Global Village Construction Set (GVCS) range from the first world to the fourth world, from Missouri, where the project was founded, to the heart of Africa. What are the emergent possibilities?
- How does the GVCS relate to making a better world?
- How does the GVCS apply to addressing resource conflicts?
- How does the GVCS address poverty and hunger?
- How does the GVCS address overpopulation issues?
- How does the GVCS apply to the first world?
- How does the GVCS apply to the third world?
- How does the GVCS apply to the Fourth World?
- How does the GVCS apply to alternative currencies?
- How does the GVCS address political corruption?
- How does the GVCS apply to renewable energy?
- How does the GVCS apply to organic farming?
- How does the GVCS apply to natural building?
- How does the GVCS apply to building new communities?
- How does the GVCS apply to retrofitting existing communities?
- How does the GVCS apply to the common man?
- How does the GVCS apply to global elites?
- How does the GVCS apply to philanthropy?
- How does the GVCS apply to creating advanced civilization?
- How does the GVCS apply to cultural and scientific advancement?
- How does the GVCS apply to land stewardship?
- How does the GVCS apply to Industry 2.0?
- Does the GVCS imply that we have to reduce our standard of living?
- How does the GVCS apply to the Maker and DIY movement?
- How does the GVCS apply to national security?