OSE optimizes its BOMs for distributed production. One such way is the owner-operator, sole-proprietor business form, such as for small enterprise.
For optimization these should be done:
- Add links to any parts that do not have direct links. If no direct link exists, link to another wiki page and put all ordering details in there.
- If there is any incomplete element of ancillary supplies or materials, add that to the BOM
- Use as much online ordering as opposed to going to stores. Until full localization of sourcing occurs - this is a good option. In today's world, it is more efficient to mail order via the UPS truck - which has efficient delivery systems worked out, such that it takes less energy to get something shipped rather than to go to the store to get it.
- Optimize for better sources - multiple sources should be found
- Include full BOM Standards
- Include files of purchase orders that can be emailed or otherwise sent to suppliers - for those items that do not have online stores.
- Replace parts with 3D printed parts
- Replace fittings with CNC lathed stock as appropriate