If you are building or armchair building, you can get an owner-builder permit. 
- Building permit costs range from $100 on the low end to the $3000 range.
- General liability starts at $19/month 
- Workers comp starts at $14/month- 
- Bond - 1%? . $100-250 for general contractors - 
- General Liability may be required 
- Bond may be required - 
- Workers comp may be requuired 
- License of permit bond may be required - 
- Get plans approved.
- Build. You call up to invite the inspector on site. 
- Utility release - after final inspection, when you are allowed to connect utilities.