CEB Press/Manufacturing Instructions/Soil grate
From Open Source Ecology
- The soil grate prevents overly large chunks of soil from entering the hopper.
- The soil grate is mounted to the hopper supports and the grate supports.
-  Steel Angle 2" A x 2" B x 1/4” x 6'
-  Steel Angle 2" A x 2" B x 1/4" x 3'
- Steel Flat Bar 1/4” x 2” x 71.5”
-  Steel Rebar, 1/2" diameter and 3' length
- Torch the holes in the two 6' angles as shown, and grind off all the slag.
- Using the welder, weld 1/2-13 nuts to the 2 round holes of one of the 6' angles on the outside surface.
- Weld the two 3' and two 6' angles together to make the frame. The short pieces are sandwiched between the long pieces as shown. Make sure the holes you torched are on the outside, ie. not where the rebar will be welded on top of them.
- Weld all of the rebar inside of the frame. It would help to find some 1.5" spacers laying around the shop so you can place them between the rebars quickly and be sure they are square. Nuts and hydraulic fittings might be the right size.
- Weld the cross support (the 1/4 x 2 flatbar) in centered and perpendicular to the plane of the frame.