Car Registration

From Open Source Ecology
Jump to: navigation, search

In the Missouri, the registration or tag renewal for a vehicle typically requires:

  • Vehicle title (proof of ownership)
  • Proof of auto insurance
  • Vehicle inspection report
  • Personal property tax receipt for the previous fiscal year
  • Renewal notice/application
  • Registration fee

Renewals can be done at a DMV office or online.

In Missouri, online renewal is only allowed when:

  • The vehicle's registration is current or has been expired for less than 30 days
  • We received a renewal notice which states that the vehicle's registration can be renewed online and includes a PIN
  • The local Tax Colector has submitted personal property tax information to the DOR.

Renewal fees for 1 year (in MO) Passenger vehicles

  • Less than 12 HP: $18.25.
  • 12-23 HP: $21.25.
  • 24-35 HP: $24.25.
  • 36-47 HP: $33.25.
  • 48-59 HP: $39.25.
  • 60-71 HP: $45.25.
  • 72 HP and over: $51.25.


To obtain insurance for a privately owned vehicle, insurance companies typically require:

  • Vehicle: make, model, year, VIN
  • Driver(s): driver's license number, name, date of birth, address, marital status, education. Anyone with access to the vehicle (e.g. spouses, children, other people living at the same address) are considered potential drivers and will necessarily be included in the policy).
  • Traffic infractions in the previous 3 years by the driver(s)). They ask how many, what(e.g. speeding tickets, accidents, etc.) and when (month and year). Failure to disclose infractions typically results and a higher premium.
  • Vehicle use: vehicle location (address where it will be parked most nights), maximum distance on average (whether it's used mostly locally or for long distance travel), primary use of vehicle (to/from work, leisure, etc.)

If the vehicle is registered to an organization, the insurance company will also want to know:

  • What the organization is (corporation, non-profit, etc,) and what it does (education, etc.)
  • When the organization was incorporated
  • The name of the owner/CEO/manager
  • Whether the organization has liability insurance

Vehicle Inspection

Vehicle inspections are typically done at auto shops by licenses inspectors. They will typically check: brakes, steering and suspension, tyres, wiper blades, lights, air and cabin air filters, battery, belts and hoses, fluid levels (oil, wiper, etc.). A broken light (even if the light itself is in working order) will not pass inspection.

OSE's Van

OSE has a 1999 dodge ram van. Documents - "Van" google photos folder.

Step 1: Inspection

The first step is to schedule an inspection. This can be done at D-Tone in Maysville or in a number of auto-shops in Cameron.

Step 2: Insurance

Since the van's insurance has likely lapsed, it is necessary to get a new policy. Given that this vehicle is rarely used, we typically get a policy for 6 months only.

In Missouri, Progressive has consistently shown to be the most affordable, so we typically go with them. To get a new Progressive Policy:

  • Call them up and explain that we have a vehicle that is rarely taken out of the farm and therefore does not have continuous insurance coverage. Mention that it has been insured with Progressive before and provide the name of the old policy so they can pull up all the info. They will still ask for more information about the vehicle, its use, OSE, and the driver (see Insurance tab above).
  • Ask for a 6 month quote. In the past we paid $208 for 6 months of coverage. They offer the option of paying for the policy in 3 installments but this is typically more expensive. We always opt for the one payment option.
  • Sign up for the policy on the phone. The policy can be become effective immediately or at later date. As soon as the payment is made, they email a proof of insurance, there is no waiting time.

Step 3: DMV

Since the van's registration is likely expired, must be done at a local DMV. Since the nearest DMV is in Cameron, we try to gather all the documentation in advance and then go to the DMV immediately after the inspection (to avoid 2 trips to Cameron).

Depending on how long it has been expired for, it may be necessary to get new license plates. For this purpose, bring to the DMV:

  • Vehicle title
  • Vehicle owner's personal property tax receipt for the previous fiscal year.
  • Vehicle inspection report
  • Proof of insurance (which the company emails as soon as payment is made on the phone)