Team Culturing Information
last updated: 11. April, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Carlo Giombi, USA
- Location - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Contact Information -
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV -
- Hobbies and Pastimes - I am obsessed with learning. I love hands-on creative projects: woodworking, compost making, etc etc etc.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Together we are stronger, smarter. No such thing as too many cooks in the kitchen.
- Why are you interested in this work?
I have been obsessed with self and community empowerment, and it seems that you are doing this better than any group I've seen.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
Yes! In fact, I think that teaching/mentoring/coaching is one of my strongest traits. I am excellent at taking seemingly complicated systems and making them simple and easy to understand.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
Absolutely. Again, self and community empowerment!
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Yes. And Yes. In fact, my main first interest is just learning the skills to build these things.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
Very possibly. I am particularly interested in construction techniques and also possible utilization of GVCS technology for actively aerated compost tea application.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
I would rather be the fabricator myself!
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
I love Milwaukee, and plan to remain rooted here in Wisconsin with my wife and extended family. However, there are many derelict areas even within the city that would benefit immensely from this.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
Oh yes. This is another one of the most compelling applications.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Maybe someday. Not anytime soon.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Possibly. I would need to know a lot more and have a lot more experience with the work before it came to that!
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
Absolutely. People can either work for giant corporations that MAY pay them enough to get by, or they can embrace self sufficiency and be liberated from the shackles of the current system.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
OH yeah. I have been obsessing over anaerobic digestion for some time now.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
I am interested in building resilient communities with anything that works.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
I'm not sure what that means.
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
Hm. Well, hopefully people won't be so dependent on the monetary systems, so their instabilities would be barely felt.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
Open source and appropriate technology means that sharing is easy, encouraged, desirable. Why fight over something that is freely given?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
Simplicity of construction, repair. Staying local and infinitely recyclible materials.
- Other comments
I can't wait to see how far GVCS can go.
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
...Telling everyone I know about it and sending the "Four years of factor e farm in four minutes" video to all of my friends.
- I am an excellent public speaker, and I am highly skilled at mentoring/teaching, as mentioned above. I have been trained in community organizing around the "relational meeting" model.
- I have had some experience in all of these areas, but I would by no means consider myself an expert. I do end up cooking every night though, since my wife works late!
- I have many basic building skills that I have acquired in the past few years. To be specific, I have some experience in woodworking, I am an excellent bicycle mechanic, and I am decent with a sewing machine. My goal is to acquire all the rest of these skills in the next 5-10 years. I pick up new hands-on skills faster than anyone else I know.
- I made a chess set in middle school. I was pretty decent at forging for a 13 year old.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I don't know yet. Perhaps contributing to some designs, improving prototypes. I am an excellent problem solver, which is IMHO invaluable to this work.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Perhaps, depending on what that would mean. I am currently unemployed, so if we find a meaningful connection I could commit 5 or more hours per week depending on the week.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
I would love to get paid, seeing as I am currently unemployed... :) I am looking for work here in Milwaukee as a carpenter. I don't think I could offer much at the moment, seeing as I am in Wisconsin.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
Possibly, but I would much rather build it myself.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
No. I don't have any idea what it means, I just know that Marcin keeps referencing it in the videos.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
That would be great, but like I said, I have no idea currently what that would be.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
YES!! I can't wait to build a lifeTrac and CEB Press!!
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
It sounds great, but we're not interested in leaving Wisconsin anytime soon.