Daan Van Geijlswijk
Team Culturing Information
last updated: 3. March, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Daan van Geijlswijk, Dutch
- Location – Utrecht, Netherlands
- Contact Information – email@example.com
- Introductory Video -
- Hobbies and Pastimes - Soccer is my most constant hobby, the other ones come in waves such as photography, writing, hiking/bushcraft, mountainbiking.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes, it's the main reason for me participating.
- Why are you interested in this work?
In different ways. The machines you are building -with the goals they are made for- should simply become reality. I want to add to that purpose and also learn more to than be able to add more. Maybe I also want to make projects with some of the machines. Like I work now at a charity, I want to convince them to work with open source solar instead of buying PV and thereby sending african money abroad.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
Yes, that would be cool! I am currently connecting to a growing network of schools and universities, they migth be interested, but also otherwise.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Yes some, mostly just the energy related ones. I would like to build them myself, using them in my own place is not possible, I live in the city for now.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
Who knows, it's not really on my list, but who knows.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
I doubt if there is any really local place where to have this done around here, interesting though.
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
Yes. I am currently doing a job for www.sos-childrensvillages.org (the dutch brand). They are willing to at least help me to get in contact with the right people to put open source energy on the agenda. So who knows. Actually I would like to connect OSE to local technical schools and teach people to build the stuff themselves.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
I am interested in offering open source kits.
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
Haven't considered it.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
Yes, but not really as in building as a contracter.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
Don't know what that is.
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
I doubt if it can, I see it more as a substitution to global systems.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
Less global resource war.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
By taking cyclic economical/ecological logic as a starting point
- Other comments
I think the open source ecology is just the coolest, most important initiative around. I Have been trying to set up something similar for just energy/water (www.zininzelfdoen.nl), but it was too dificult, you guys did a better job!
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
Depends how you look at it. I have been working on open source energy/water projects and have facilitated others in doing so. I have done so, independently of OSE though but am now trying to integrate with your projects.
- I know a bit about fundraising/marketing.
- I am advisor (www.intribes.com) on how to organize volunteers in Tribes/communities for NGO's since 5 years. I also have quite good visionary and strategic skills.
- I am familiar with and use a Ning network.
- I can cook, nothing fancy but good enough. I have no experience in agriculture apart from reading about it :-). Ok I once ploughed a piece of land with a bunch of old school anarchists in Italy.
- I am an Industrial Design Engineer by education. I am no good at computer modelling (when I studied this was still primitive). I tried sketchup and want at some point learned about Blender. My best skill is finding new solutions or new ways of looking at a problem.
- I did unpaid and paid work in ecological construction for two years about 2 days a week. I currently am working on a prototype for a Heliostat.
Electronics and Magnetics
- I have basic knowledge of circuits. I use the Arduino.
- I am working with stepper motor control with the heliostat project, but I am not the electronics guy but I have the basics and this area I want to learn more about and am doing so. I usually look for open source stuff to start with and than adapt.
- no hands-on experiency, just the engineering theory.
- Industrial Design Engineer by education, but I left the field after study for 5 years. Now I am back at it, but more on a hands-on level, more fun!
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I like all your MadMax machines, but I am most interested in working on solar energy. This probably where I can best help out also, because of my experience with the heliostat. Also this project has potential for me to get more people involved in the Netherlands.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
I would like to volunteer for a month in may.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
I am not considering to work for pay.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
I did not give it thought yet. A problem would be to get it to the netherlands. Maybe if I get some subsidy in Holland, who knows.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
No, but I will be.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
I am not considering to move to the US.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
The solar concentrator technology I am interested in, I am already working on that for some time. I think it is crucial.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
If the community is based in Europe I am interested, but I would not move to the US.