Team Culturing Information
last updated: 1. May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Damien Gendron
- Location (city, country) - Vancouver, British Columbia
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) - dawgenca (at) shaw (dot) ca
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV -
My name is Damien and I'm here to help. I truly believe Open Source is the future. Our world needs this and so much more. If we can just reach critical mass in terms of participation we will begin to create the new world we all need. My focus here is on building communities that supply everyone with the basics of life efficiently. Freedom is key.
I have a variety of skills, primarily based in technology. A jack of all trades sort of fellow by nature, I am a voracious learner. I've worked in metal fabrication and mechanics off and on most of my professional life. I have many years of welding under my belt. I've designed and built several machines over the years, taking projects from conception to finished prototype many times.
Here is one of them: http://www.gendrontec.com/projects.htm
More recently my background is in CNC Machining. At the moment I work in the Film Industry in Vancouver British Columbia as a Special Effects Technician and Props Builder. I excel in these departments because I have such a variety of transferable skills. I have solid computer knowledge (IBM PC) as it applies to 3D modeling, CAD/CAM and general graphics. I am an Advanced Class Amateur Radio operator. I have a firm grasp of electronics. Having worked so much in the CNC world I have had significant exposure to the control circuitry involved.
Last but not least I am a great 3D Mechanical Draftsman. This is where I think I could be most helpful right now? Programs I have used include AutoCad, Solidworks, Rhino, ArtCam, MasterCAM and many more.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes I think it's the future.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I believe that in the relatively near future the developed countries of the world will find themselves forced to re-evaluate how they function. Communities will need to become more self reliant as the wasteful corporate infrastructure breaks down. OSE could make this transition so much easier. I want to make a difference.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
Hopefully it will give small communities the leverage they need to live independent of the big soulless profiteering elite. The spin offs could actually shift the power balance and put it back in the hands of regular folks.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
- What are you missing in the project?
More organization. Humility.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
It needs many more project leaders and technical professionals. Funding wouldn't hurt either.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Organization: I have been involved in many clubs and associations over the years where I have taken on a leadership role.
Computer Support: I have many years of PC computer experience.
Design: As a Machinist/fabricator/tinkerer/inventor I have taken many projects from conception to working prototype many times.
Electronics: I have a solid electronics background gained from 30 years of hobby activities. I am an Advanced Class Amateur Radio Operator that has taught basic and RF electronics for many years.
Automation: Being trained in CNC Machining I have a solid understanding of how automated controls work. I have built several automated assemblies over the years.Metallurgy: In my profession I need to know how metals react to being formed in various ways. I have a good understanding of carbon steel hardening practices.
Engineering: I have a good understanding of most basic engineering concepts as it applies to general fabrication and mechanics.
Fabrication: I am a professional fabricator.
Energy: I have a keen interest in alternative energy. I have been studying various form for many years as a hobby.
Graphics/art: I have many years experience in computer generated graphics. I can be very artistically creative when suitably inspired.
Construction: I have worked off and on in the construction trade. Not one of my strong points however.
Industry: I am familiar with many industrial manufacturing processes.
CNC: I am a professional CNC Machinist.
Product Design: I am a very good general designer. I can be especially good at this. My varied skills set combined with artistic flair aids in this.
- How have you already contributed to the project?
I've taken the time to review some of the previous work. I've started discussions in the forum.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I have plenty of technical knowledge to share. I am willing to participate in designing, producing CAD drawings. I have the facilities and ability to prototype also, if funding were available for material costs. I would be interested in forming a satellite group in my area.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Highly variable but approx. 8 hrs.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
If I was to charge for my services I would charge $40/hr. I consider myself a professional Machinist and 3D Draftsman. I am also a skilled general fabricator and a MIG/TIG welder.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
I live too far away to consider this.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
No I can make my own.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
No. I can contribute much more via my skill set than any amount of money I can afford.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Not if it involved relocating no.