Last time I visited the local hackerspace, FIXME.ch, people were talking about having a hackerspace project here. I'm also right beside the EPFL, MIT of Switzerland and there are people there interested in stuff like this. Cosin.ch would have been a great opportunity to promote your work but it is cancelled.
Looking at the VFD requirements in more detail, I had a few ideas:
- build it on a DIN rail
- put at least two AC-DC input rectifiers there for redundancy
- two DC-DC down-converters for redundancy
- use https://industruino.com/ as controllers
- each motor has one dedicated industruino and one output module on the rail
- separate module(s) for monitoring/logging/radio
This could be very serviceable and resilient.