Team Culturing Information
Last updated: April 21, 2012
WHO are you?
- Name - Dave Zeiger
- Significant Other - Anke Wagner
- Location (city, country) - SouthEast Alaska USA
- Home Port - Tenakee Springs, Alaska
- Contact Information (email, skype, phone) - triloboats (at) gmail (dot) com
- Picture - https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o8mPnMRnF9w/T4ikZHrvT2I/AAAAAAAAAik/v-Gtdd2KyVQ/s402/classic+Dave.JPG
- Introductory Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlGZW4NVaP8
- Resume/CV - http://www.triloboats.com/aboutus.html
BA in Philosophy from Lewis & Clark College, Portland, OR.
Software Programmer/Consultant, 1980-1990.
Sailor, 1990 to present.
Boat Builder, 1995 to present.
Boat Design, 1996 to present. Developed TRILOBOAT (barge) Formula, 2003.
(www.triloboats.com... under submission to the GVCS).
These sites have more about my work and our life:
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
I believe OS culture promotes and embodies the 'commonwealth' far more than has historically been the case. I see it as a viable and necessary alternative to private property with its associated supply-and-demand market thinking.
Participatory, egalitarian, transparent, consentual, DIY, anarchic... all concepts near and dear to my heart!
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I believe the Triloboat (scalable and modular box barge) Formula fits your approach and the CVCS well. Barges are versatile tools for transportation, cargo carrying, subsistence fishing and housing.
My own idea for them is to be widely seeded, enabling many to get afloat who might not otherwise be able to afford or manage it. I see the GVCS as a 'viral' idea, in its own right. I think the two would make good traveling companions.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
It's strength, I believe, lies in the participatory, DIY approach. It is extremely empowering and socializing (vs. depowering and alienating in standard industrial paradigms).
By localizing industry, supply chains are shortened and simplified, capital resources largely remain within the community, and the toolset is adaptable to local needs (vs. standard one-size-fits-all). This empowers communities naturally toward subsistence modes, which I see as the only conceivable basis for sustainable economies.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
If you accept the Triloboats concept as a member of the GVCS, or some related role, then I will become more involved.
- What is missing in the project?
I note that you lack water/sail transport... a BOAT tool.
BOAT is one of THE basic tools. On a planet that is 75% water, and whose landmasses are laced with navigable waters, BOAT represents distributed transport with little to no required infrastructure.
As Tristan Jones points out, "A sailboat is the only vehicle on the plantet with unlimited range." They are fuel efficient, accessible, have a healthy DIY tradition, and often the center of vital social cultures.
The synergies between BOAT and the other tools in the GVCS is high. Unlike TRUCK, BOAT may scaled to the point where it can transport the entire GVCS (as well as materials and personnel), in a single passage, to isolated or roadless areas accessible by water.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
At present, I'm on an approach pattern. Will get back to you as I gain more familiarity with the project.
A first impression, however relates to naming conventions (tool parenting). I would suggest standardizing all tools in the format TOOL NAME > OPEN SOURCE TOOL NAME > TOOL NICKNAME, with standardized information pertaining at each level. Looking around the OSE Wiki, I've found pages with development at all three levels, but no strong consistency.
WHAT are your skills?
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
My major contribution, if accepted, will be in Design/Product Design.
I bring a simple, highly developed formula for box barge design, for construction in sheet materials (http://www.triloboats.com). The formula generates a large class of instances (modular, as individuals or fleets) of varying sizes (scalable).
These hulls (and the principles that generate them) are consistent with and productive of a wide array of super-structures and layouts, supporting a huge range of needs.
It may serve as a starting point for OS development, but likely only at the instance level. The central rules-of-thumb have been likely simplified as much as possible. Development from this point will likely be in application specific plan categories (cargo, landing craft, passenger transport, live-aboard, etc.), and a comprehensive User Manual.
My particular interest and expertise is in sail power, though GVCS power sources are perfectly applicable to these barges.
I see my role as assisting in the initial product wiki, then consulting and advising where possible.
Additionally, I have skills in carpentry, computer systems, CAD and technical writing.
- How have you already contributed to the project?
To date, only to the extent that I have offered my design formula, gratis, to the project, and started development of the page http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Triloboat.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Primarily through the donation of a core tool (BOAT). Secondarily, through providing input to OS development of the concept.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
I would like to volunteer time and energy. My ability to connect with internet (or other communication channels) is very sporadic, so it would be on an occasional, drop-in basis.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
It's possible, on a contract, case-by-case basis.
Services are in consulting, review of and feedback to OS development process and waypoints re the Triloboat Formula and related gear and outfit.
Pay would depend on circumstances, but I will generally work for well below market pay rates.
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit?
Not at this point, though I may be in the future.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
No, thank you.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
Possibly, in the future.
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Our financial structure (so-called) is such that we contribute to causes on a once-a-year basis, in the form of lump donations (no subscription-type pledges). We will, however, add the GVCS to our list of candidates!
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
No, thank you. On-going, yes; full-time, no.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment â€“ a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology.
No, thank you, though I will be following with great interest.