Team Culturing Information
last updated: 1. May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - David Decent
- Location (city, country) - Dunstable
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) -
surfsquid (at) gmail (dot) com
phone: +447929231451 or +441582609348
facebook (dot) com/surfsquid
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oAc6HSH3Dgw9ZnL8_xmIxaDLyYFewcJ_5ddlsCtaG9Q/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLjc4cEG
- Hobbies and Pastimes -
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
All the resources are in abundance, we just need to get the knowledge, materials and tools to the masses. Open source is how we do this.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I have always felt the economic system is outdated, it's evolved from a very simple thing into a vastly over complicated, and now redundant system.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
One of my main goals is to educate people on self sufficiency. The GVCS ties into this perfectly.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?
No, at present I am part of group looking to start our own community in Milton Keynes in the UK. We will be drawing on inspiration from the GVCS.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
YES! We currently have in our team, amongst others, an automotive engineer, architect, programmer, electronics, carpenters etc etc. we believe building these items ourselves will be most cost efficient.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
We are looking at selling some of our produce to help fund our community. So not directly, no. But we will be using the technologies to get to this point.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
possibly, Dependant upon cost.
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
It needs to be done, but my country is enough of a shit hole atm. I'll let someone else deal with Africa...
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
YES! this is one of our major goals. We have also been thinking about the networking aspect and how to open this up to more users.
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
This is one of our major objectives.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Perhaps members of my team, I'm too busy storming ahead with the project! I get the feeling from some of his posts Marcin will know exactly what I'm talking about!
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
The way I see it, once one community has a whole set of tools they can provide a set to a second village, third village...It just goes viral from this point!
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power)?
Yes, We're currently looking at various renewable energy sources.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes, this is a main objective at present.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
I see it as more of a bug out community...
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
yes, I believe with GVCS we can live a higher standard of life with NO cash at all. This would be a long time off though.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
I don't feel it can.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
By promoting environmental awareness through the project.
- Do you have any other comments that you'd like to make?
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
- What are you missing in the project?
There is still a lot of writing up missing, incomplete wiki pages etc.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
I have mentioned the website to over 100 friends. I also contribute occasionally on the message boards. Shared on facebook.
- I blog
- I'm a good networker, this is key to my leading our project tbh.
- I have used openoffice, linux, gimp, chromium, Blender
- I have 0 financial exp. I have an accountant on my team though!
- Yes, this is something I have been considering for our own community. Sharing is caring and all that...
- I am the most experienced with food in my group. I come from a large Jewish family so cooking was always a big thing! I can cook for large groups, I have a food hygiene certificate. I also have experience gardening and am growing my own vegetables now, before we've even secured land for our project!!
- I can do 3D design in maya, max and blender. I have also used sketchup and grand designs 3D. I have used pcb wizard, crocodile clips and livewire for circuit design and testing.
- I have only really constructed small items, working mainly with plastics for electronic projects. I also have experience with wood and sheet metal. I haven't done much CAM, just a bit of 2D milling :-(
Electronics and Magnetics
- Electronics are not a problem, I did this at A level at school and it's something I still enjoy in my free time. I am currently developing an open source domestic robot.
- yes, yes, yes We want to automate as many processes as possible! I have worked with motors etc.
- I have no experience working with metal, besides cutting it from sheets.
- I wouldn't say I'm an expert in any of these fields.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I would love to come over and help you guys out, and learn more in the process.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
I can't volunteer, I live too far away!
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
You don't have to pay me! Fly me out there, feed me, I'll work like a beaver!
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
possibly, again distance is a major issue for me.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
I can't afford to spend any money atm! sorry!
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
No, my goal is to set up my own community in England
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
If I don't have my own place by then... YES!