WHO is this?
- Name David Ihnen
- Location Cameron, Dekalb, Missouri, The United States Of America
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- skype DavidIAm
- ICQ 2982437
- Yahoo skylos
- MSN email@example.com
- AIM zanedoggie
- Twitter skylos
- Facebook DavidIAm
- Cell phone 562-743-1807
- Pictures []
- Introductory Video - coming soon
- Resume/CV []
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
The free sharing of information enables the collaboration and improvement of the lifestyle and knowledge of the most at-risk members of society. I think the promotion of the well being of the least advantaged members of society is just about the most good anybody can do in the world.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
You are doing it. You are helping create the information - the manual, so to speak - for not just individuals but for communities to create and sustain themselves. This is highly valuable.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
By showing how to do it without capital - by showing that people are not helpless victims of circumstance and system. That by using this readily available knowledge, they can elevate and improve themselves and their families for their entire lives.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
I'm laboring under a stupid amount of debt. In the next year or so I'll be out of it, and that will allow me to abandon my working-for-the-man type jobs to dedicate myself to more sociologically valuable endeavors full time.
- What is missing in the project?
Management and understanding of how to work collaboration.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
Concentrating on technology and patterns that set our collaborative efforts up for success by providing a structure that promotes an environment with priorities that enable our future success.
WHAT are your skills?
- Communications - data communications, networking hardware down to physical layer, understanding of communication protocols and methods of troubleshooting them.
- Organizational - minimal - I have an understanding that our traditional organizational efforts tend to exclude the possibly good ideas of the average man and promote their own stagnation.
- Computer Support - I am a highly skilled computer programmer.
- Finances - I understand basic through fairly complex accounting and understand the value of its methods and auditability. I have big ideas that will help make the systems more auditable, trackable, and transparent.
- Design - Pragmatism first - Form follows function, the aesthetic of the form is almost invisible to me.
- Natural Building - a lifetime of research and thought on the methods, materials, and patterns of natural building. This is the subject I approach with the most enthusiasm!
- Electronics - I understand electronic design and implementation from classes in junior college. I use the principles in analyzing things occaisonally, but I am not a practiced electronics engineer.
- Fabrication - I'm mechanically inclined, and I like to make things. My time and practice in life has been spent creating computer programs rather than physical objects.
- Agriculture - I know little about agriculture specifically, but believe that the power of information systems, sensors, automation, robotics, and other such technologies can revolutionize the way we grow our food.
- Automation - I automate data processing and customer interaction online for a living. Physical automation shouldn't be that much harder, I support the endeavor to automate. Elimination of repetitive and boring physical work is a very worthy goal.
- Metallurgy - I don't know anything significant about metallurgy.
- Energy - The subject I approach with the second most enthusiasm! Alternative energy sources have been a long-time fascination in my life, I can contribute much understanding and knowledge to alternative energy matters.
- Architecture - Natural building! Creating houses that are comfortable with minimal energy input that blend into the environment in which they are built, preferably built with the materials that are in abundance around them.
- Video/Graphics/Art - helpless. I don't have an eye for art. I can take photographs, I understand some about pragmatic lighting - in a technical sense, I can help you make a great, understandable video. Making it artistically beautiful is beyond me.
- PR/Marketing - anathema. I recognize its value but have trouble dealing with it.
- Education - the key to the future. Setting up education is almost more important than improving quality of life of the community - education will allow the persistence of the community into future generations. I have knowledge that I wish to share, I don't know much about methods of education or doing it, though.
- Construction - Something I have studied as part of my fascination with energy and architecture, and engaged in when given an opportunity - I've done rebar, concrete, cinderblock, fencing, framing, wiring, plumbing, drywalling, finishing, painting.
- Industry - nothing.
- CNC - A subject of much optimism and excitement. The translation of my field (computer programming) into the physical is really cool! I have much enthusiasm for CNC.
- Chemistry - I have a basic understanding of chemistry related to things like biodiesel and concrete that I have researched.
- Product design - I'm not a designer, but I'll make it work.
I am contributing thoughts to the forum.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I can help to make sure the wiki is as complete as possible regarding the collection of documentation for the projects and implementations going on. I can also make sure that my knowledge is contributed to appropriate portions of the forum.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
I hadn't given that much thought. If I was to be volunteering presently, I could come over to the FactorE Farm for some hours in evening several days a week.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Well, SURE! I currently make $50/hour, which I realize is fairly expensive (as I am a highly skilled computer programmer) I'm working myself out of debt (impact ~$2000/month for less than two years) so if food/energy/housing was taken care of (I live in a fifth wheel RV) merely servicing the debt would free me up to contribute.
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit?
Not right now. I live nearby anyway.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
A distinct possibility.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
Absolutely, particularly on software projects which are my expertise!
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Not yet, just trying to get my mind around how I can contribute and what the value of my contribution on the monetary level is. I can easily afford to contribute a moderate amount, I suspect I will do so after I visit the Farm in person.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community?
OMG YES. Consider me standing in line and waving a flag.