OSE India. Civil Engineering professor. Knows Viveik - friend from another social network in India. Built a brick press. Will send an article he wrote. Knows Viveik Saigal. Orissa. Self-funding of senior projects. For example, built a wind generator. Model - have students pay for machines. First build - they imported hydraulic cylinders. Will source locally next time. Plans to make CEB a mobile setup. Business model of local brick production - would be financially prof. The industry standard is getting bricks from the factory. Last 400,000 in rupee - $7k. Cost will go down to $5k for Indian sourcing. 3000 rupees - $50 per student x30 students, times $1500. That is a professor's salary for 2 months. Would spend one week with a couple of technicians. So University pays for the machine in some cases, in other cases it's the students that pay. Flyash lime and gypsum waste - wherever paper mills and fertilizer companies are available.
Orissa is one of the poorest areas of India.
History in OS: long time Linux user, went to school in Michigan. UMd, College Park - AID chapters in US - Association for Indian Development.
- Charter template -
- Work product
- Wiki page on the OSE wiki
- Assignment: to produce a Chapters wiki page template.
- Distributive Enterprise
- Organize a conference - invite presentations on open source models.
It was wonderful finally talking to you. Here is what I I believe we have discussed and agreed on:
- We will in principle work towards forming OSE India.
- Since as of now we don't know of any one else involved in OSE from India other than myself and Viveik, we will organise a Conference of potential participants in about 3-4 months time (April - May 2016 or December 2016).
- The theme of the conference will be OpenSource and Distributed Enterprise and hopefully we can have you visit and make a presentation.
- We will try to have IIT Bhubaneswar and CTTC as conference partners to give it as much importance and draw attention as widely as possible at a national level.
- As discussed we are working on the Field Trial of the CEB which I believe has not been done fully yet. We are still struggling to set up a production set-up that can run continuously at our College. We are also exploring shifting the machine to a production facility to do the continuous production trials.
- We are also exploring the use of the CEB as a student project using the Rapid Build Workshop model. We are also developing a business plan to make it a mobile production unit.
- In preparation for OSE India, we will implement a Wiki page using a template that would be common to all chapters (to be shared by you).
- We will gather together all the information on CEB work so far and upload on the OSE India wiki.
Thank you and Happy New Year again.