Team Culturing Information
last updated: 1. May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Don Dunklee
- Location (city, country) - Davison, Michigan, USA
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) - organicgrower (at) earthlink (dot) net
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV - Owner /builder of a 23 acre organic vegetable farm that is 100% off the grid. Heat with wood. Make lumber with chainsaw mill. 2 micro windmills (900 and 600 watts each) and about 1,800 watts of solar power the farm. Built/modified an electric scooter to charge from the sun with on board solar charging. Scooter has over 2,500 miles of solar travel and has been licensed and insured for street travel since 2005. Currently working 3 major projects that I have no problem sharing with anyone. One is a robotic field cultivator to gently remove weeds from fields powered only from the sun. Another project is using Peltier junctions (thermoelectric modules) to condense water from the air for watering crops. This is planned to be small, about the size of solar charged yard lights, however any size could be made for watering entire communities with water condensed from the air. The third is air conditioning for my home with a 12 inch tube from the woods to my pump house, then the last 100 feet to the home will have the cold water feed from our well in the center of the pipe with radiator fins to condense the moisture from the air before entering the home. Solar and turbine vents in hte roof will pull the hot air out and cause the replacement air to enter, thus cooling the house. Every flush of the toilet and glass of water will cycle cool ground water in the system to keep it operating. An aded side benefit will be warming the water intake enough, if math is correct, to keep pipes from sweating inside the house and on the toilet. There are other projects like these that many minds working together could bring to fruition quickly.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Already have my scooter out there as "freeware" or open sourced for anyone who wants to use the information can. I want to help ordinary, or I should write extraordinary people to be free of corporate control in how we make our lives. Weed control with a robot would end the need for ANY genetically modified seed and all herbicide use, saving lives around the world with less pollution. With no need for GM seed, companies like Monsanto would not be able to control farmers like they now do.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
Many minds could see my projects to fruition sooner and benefit mankind faster. I work off farm about 60 hours a week, plus operating my farm, which gives little time to complete my dream projects. Working with many like minded people is like a virus, the more involved in the project, the faster it becomes a reality.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
So simple I am surprised this has not caught on faster. Many minds working together can solve problems collectively without bias. This side of our fantastic internet access is amazing to me. People only see the ideas and expand them to be better collectively.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
less time off farm working for Walgreens as a store manager.
- What are you missing in the project?
Solar Peltier condenser will be tested in about a month. Robotic field cultivator, dubbed "ladybug" has just that, "bugs" yet to be worked out. The biggest thing missing in reality however is TIME to work on it.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
Mine or GVCS? GVCS will grow like a virus. A good and healthy virus. My projects will become of age as time permits, but I see a huge advantage with many minds working together.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Good communicator. Have worked local projects for groups that required organizational skills to complete successfully, the goals of the project. Can do some computer work, have two of my three children in engineering and computer work. Oldest was with Apple, but recruited to CISCO and doing cell phone security for them. Good with financing and fund raising in the past. Designes and built entire farm as well as most of projects I am working on. Take advantage of mother nature in building projects, building a root celler this year and hoping to complete my "air conditioning this summer, as described above. Good at practical engineering for on farm solutions to everyday problems that are not covered in textbooks. Grow my own vegetables, plan on changing from tractor based back to horse based when I retire. Farm is 100% off grid for 28 years now, put entire system together from design to end project myself. Can do video presentations. Educate often about off grid life, including Earth Day 2010 and 2011 at the University of Michigan, Flint. Built entire farm. For other I might add "just plain crazy, which goes a long way in creativity for dreaming of our future.
- How have you already contributed to the project?
just getting started.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Would not be filling this out if not interested.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Limited for now, however depending on what, can make some time available.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
? Dreamers would love to build/grow projects for a job. Few people ever get the chance due to how our society is put together. Need to make money to get ahead which traps us into a lifestyle of always being behind.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
Might be, depending on details.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
Might be depending on details and cost.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
From what I have seen so far, I believe so. Could change either way depending on what I learn in the next few days.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
To help the world? That would be a dream come true. In reality, I think I already am on a small scale. Others are now copying what I have been doing for the bulk of my life.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
Probably would. Already am using some of the basic ideas, just designed by others and adapted for my situation.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Could not at this time. Too soon of a time frame, however would love to be a support for helping trouble shoot ideas.