- Recruiting and Strategic Partnerships - Recruits and on-boards executive team - (1) Operations Manager, (2) Product Lead, (3) Community Manager, and (4), Documentation Manager. Approves all hires, contractors, and volunteers. Develops strategic partnerships (30%).
- Standards Development: Develops documentation and development standards with assistance from Executive Team, and oversees execution (30%).
- Structuring and Oversight - Implements legal/financial compliance and operations. Manages executive team. (20%)
- Plan and Budget - Defines development plan and budget (20%).
Role Description for Marcin Jakubowski, Ph.D., ED.
Abstract: The ED sets the Critical Path for Open Source Ecology, defines process for supporting the Critical Path, and dog-foods initial versions of processes.
- Leadership - Ability to generate effective Critical Path Narratives and to inspire the team towards excellence. Ability to reframe daily tasks within the framework of the greater project vision.
- Recruiting Talent - Ability to inspire mentors, advisors, technical experts, reviewers, and strategic collaborators to collaborate on the project.
- Technical Literacy - Ability to translate OSE Specifications into specific product design features of the 50 GVCS Tools.
- Fabrication Experience - To understand and direct translation of OSE Specifications into design-for-fabrication of lifetime design products.
- Systems design capacity - To define and build a coherent product ecology of the 50 GVCS Tools accoring to an open source hardware pattern language.
- Process Development - Ability to create effective processes and governance for Open Source Product Development, emphasizing strategic clarity, development efficiency, and performance development as a lean, learning organization.
- Strategic Planning - ability to execute cost-benefit analysis, risk analysis, review, and effective decision-making ragarding development priorities.
- Economic Analysis - Ability to perform economic feasibility analysis and enterprise planning.
- Working Openly - Practicing the Philosophy of Open and OSE Principles of Open Culture.
ED Duties - Until 2014
- Prototyping and Production: Directs machine prototyping and allocates prototyping budget. Reviews strategic priorities and critical path with staff. Functions as Product Lead until one is recruited. Reviews product designs for adherence to OSE Specifications and GVCS 50 Product Ecology. Create, execute, direct, and delegate process for Collaborative Production Runs for the purpose of prototyping and bootstrap funding. (35%)
- Process Development: Continuously create, integrate, and refine Open Source Product Development process, standards, and methodologies. This includes on-site and remote collaboration. Develops Team Structure to support the core effort of prototyping. Oversees nonprofit resource development (25%)
- Collaboration Incubation: Developing strategic partnerships, boundary-crossing collaboration, and inspiring leaders to join the project. Includes speaking engagements. (25%)
- Hiring: Approve all hires, Dedicated Project Visitors, contracts, bids, and other offers from on-site and remote participants (20%)
The critical milestone for effective leadership of the project is clarifying the requirements of a basic hardware development methodology, as well as producing the supporting documentation for this this method. Presently, we are considering a lean technique with the key point of using simple, widely-available development tools for hardware - wikis, Google Docs, and Sketchup. The next major milestone include:
- Refining the Flashy XM platform based on recent learnings on the Fabrication Diagram Method of prototyping swarms.
- Publishing the Product Ecology Design white paper. This covers the critical design principles for the integration of a small set of modules into a coherent OSE Product Ecology of the GVCS. This key to this is defining the interfaces for combining a minimal set of mechanical, electrical, precision drive, fabrication, and power electronics modules into a coherent set.