WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Eleftherios (aka:Lefteris) Kosmas / Greek / Greek
- Location – what is your city and country? Greece, Athenst
- Contact Information – email, phone, Skype Skype:elkosmas email:My Skype Name at the google powered email service
- Picture – N/A (soon to come)
- Introductory Video- N/A (not so soon to come)
- Resume/CV – N/A (soon to come to)
- Hobbies and Pastimes- Involved in Free Libree Open Source software, Hiking,
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work? Because I believe that open source is a more ethical and effective way to do things.
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes, I consider Free Software and Open Source I general a viable alternative to propiertary solutions. I activelly support FLOSS in Greece through my personal blog (in Greek) and through a Greek Linux Magazine
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I believe that the technologies developed or under development in GVCS are vital. The availability of these technologies will provide a better future for people in advanced and third world countries.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
Currently, I am planning in the future to review the GVCS project in Greek especially though my blog and in person to person if i believe that someone might be interested.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?
Considering that I am leaving in Greece which has even less intustrial infrastructure than other bigger countries I tend to believe that economic relocalisation is a vital step for our dept striken economy.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Use some of them for sure, Builds them depend on the complexity.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
I wouldn't describe my self as an entepeneur.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
Well if would be something I could use, sure.
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?Yeah especiality in crisis areas i can even see the Liberator building CEBs for houses (ie after a natural dectruction)
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
Sure. Escecialy if they are small scale to implement them to my country house. :)
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Athough my academics background is not ralated in the project (I am nurse working as a sleep technologist) I can do some reviews in Greek which is my native language.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Not on the time being.
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
I believe that in economies that are mostly based on the services sector while agriculture, industry and high tech are not that envolved in the economy have a difficult time keeping trade balanced. The application of even a few of the economic aspects of GVCS could lower the import demand singifacally while (hopefully) creating jobs. Considering that these are among the problems in my country's economy i believe that the application of the GVCS model or it's derivatives could reduce the current imbalnce.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power)
I am interested in installing some of this in small scale.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Well i am thinking to start with a rsilient family and hopefully others will join.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
On the time being no. But in the future i might.
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
I think that the instabilities of the global monetary system are inherent to the system but OSE and Open Source in general if i might add can play a defenitive role not in stabilizing but in minimising the adverse effects of such instabilities. By the way since ΙΑΝΑΕ (I am not an Economist) you better take my point of view in the matter with a grain of salt :)
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
Our current economies are not that much driven by resource but of the luck of it. A post-scarcity economy could result to less resource related conflicts.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulatoin?
Direct participation to local resources instead of remote resource could be key to adress overpopulation in some communities.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
First, by giving access to green technologies to more people. Second, by imblementing this technologies in a viable way setting an example for others.
- Do you have any other comments that you'd like to make?
Although at first glance GVSC seems as a to-good-to-be-true project, i think that the open source character of it could prouve that it came a change. The Liberator, Tractor and RepTable (and other projects) are already there for people to build upon them even if GVCS fails to deliver keep up with the 50/2/2 (I don't say it will fail, something tells me it wouldn't) people could still benefit from it.
WHAT- What can you/have you contributed to the development of OSE? This assesses some of the key contributions that we are looking for with respect to the OSE project. If you answer positively to any of the points, please expand on your experience. I could help get the word out and translate some material to Greek.
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, beind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
Mostly wiki contributions... but they usually need editing :)
- Are you a technical writer? Desktop publisher? On-demand publisher? Blogger? Vlogger? Data visualization expert? Graphic designer? Information architect? Do you do computer animation and modeling? Are you a wireless communications expert? Are you a PR specialist? Do you have experience in marketing? Have you created marketing materials? What relevant field of communications have we missed that we should be asking about?
I right articles for a Linux Magazine in Greece and i blog about Free Software and Open SOurce.
- Do you have experience in public relations? Strategic development? Organizational architecture consulting? Project management? Product management? Operations management? Nonprofit organizations? Public event organizing? Community organizing? Public speaking? Are you a good networker? Do you know contract law and can you draft legal agreements?
Actually I not that much into that although i don't mind public speaking.
- Are you familiar with open source software? Do you use Linux? Are you a computer programmer? Are you a web designer? Open source CMS Developer/Designer? System administrator? Open source CRM developer? Augmented reality developer? Have you created or managed web-based forums? Have you administered a wiki? Can you lead a development effort on a specialized Linux implementation that addresses the goals of OSE? What relevant field of computer support have we missed that we should be asking about? 2\
Yeah sure I am familiar. I use Linux the last 10-11 years as a primary OS on my computers. I have administered a very small wiki (it so small only 3 people have edited it including me). Well i have some ease with python and with gimp.
- Are you an accountant? Are you a lawyer? Have you written any business plans? Have you served as a corporate CFO? Do you have experience with resource development? Are you well-versed in the tax code? Do you have experience with project bidding?
- Are you interested in developing a social contract for a prototypical GVCS village – a modern village of 200 people thriving from local resources?
Well i could give some input i guess. Home Economics
- Can you cook? Can you cook for a group of 20? Can you grow food? What is your experience in agriculture? Have you done food processing?
I can cook. I used to cook for a group of ten. I have some experiece in growing tomatoes, potatoes, cherries, oranges, lemons, mantarins, grapes, pumpkins, berries, and basil (all organic) and I know how to collect wild leafy greens (having a small hilltop close to your place can be handy) and wild oregano. Haven't done any food processing but considering doing it. Design
- Are you an architect, interior designer, product designer, industrial process designer, electronics designer, water systems designer? Are you familiar with CAD software or modeling software such as Blender? Have you designed and built circuits? Are you familiar with power electronics design? What relevant field of design have we missed that we should be asking about?
Nope, although i have some experience on gimp.
Building Are you a prototyper, rapid prototyper, custom fabricator, general contractor, construction worker, mason, carpenter, heavy equipment operator, welder, machinist, mechanic, woodworker, or other producer? Are you a certified chainsaw operator and have you taken a chainsaw safety course? Are you familiar with CAM? Do you know how to machine gears? Have you built any tools that you use on a regular basis? Have you built your own house? What relevant build skill have we missed that we should be asking about? I've worked as a consturction worker 12 years ago. I know how to weld stuff and helped building parts of my country house. I know how to drill.
Electronics and Magnetics
- Do you have axperience with power electronics or circuit design? Are you familiar with converters, inverters, high frequency power supplies? Are you familiar with solenoid valve desing? Can you do magnetic field calculations? Have you designed electrical motors or generators? What relevant field of E&M have we missed that we should be asking about?
Nope not really.
- Are you familiar with precision drive systems? Are you familiar with stepper motors or servos? Can you design an open source stepper motor controller? Have you built or designed CNC equipment? Do you have experience with industrial robotics? What relevant subset of automation have we missed that we should be asking about?
Nope nada. Metallurgy
- Are you a metallurgist? Do you have experience with hot metal processing? Press forging? Induction furnace design? Have you used an induction furnace? Have you built any machining equipment, tooling/dies? Do you have experience with alloying or smelting? What relevant topic in metallury have we missed that we should be asking about?
- Are you a subject matter expert in agricultural engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, industrial process design, robotics and automation, chemical engineering, materials science, polymer engineering, structural engineering, automotive engineering?\
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Wiki, translations and getting the word out
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Nope not really.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
I can wright reviews and similar stuff in Greek but pay is not that much of an issue now.
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit?
No not really i live WAY far away and I work as a full time sleep technologist.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development? D
Depends if I could find something useful i might give it a go.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
I don't think so.
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
No yet. I am thinking about it... (and have to set up my online payments thing with my bank)
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis? If you need a sleep technologist in Athens I am your man!
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
Some of them sure.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.