Team Culturing Information
WHO are you?
- Name - Eric Calhoun
- Location (city, country) - Durham, NC
- Contact Information (email, skype, phone) - eric (dot) 2birds1stone (at) gmail (dot) com , Skype: eric (dot) breakofdawn
- Introductory Video
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Absolutely. It's important for communities to be free and prosperous.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I have 10 years experience in energy efficient housing helping homes by 20% better than they would be... but it's not changing the basic paradigm. We need radical solutions, not slow incremental change.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
It both helps provide basic levels of prosperity for people around the world, whether abroad or here making self-sustaining community more possible. On top of all that, we know from developmental psychology and Maslow that only once you help people with their basic needs then they can work on higher level needs of community, relationships, and a peaceful world.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
I mostly need to understand where y'all are and what is going on. I found out about OSE about a year ago, and just recently found out about you again with the Kickstarter campaign. I went to the website, saw a call for documentary film producers, and here we are.
- What is missing in the project?
As far as the toolbox, if I were to add something that is fundamental to civilization when creating a community, teaching sustainable development, or recovering from a major disaster, I would want to know how to handle sanitation and waste.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
I can't say yet, not having enough exposure to see where you are in depth.
WHAT are your skills?
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Research - field research, writing, information research, and energy modeling for projects funded by EPA, HUD, DOE, and private utilities Construction - some, but I have more experience telling people how they are doing it is wrong (QA)
- How have you already contributed to the project?
Supported your Kickstarter campaign!
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Again, I can't really say yet without having a strong grasp on what's happening now. I would love to do some video work that is more aligned with my core beliefs. I could also perhaps do some more focused hard research.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
For the short term (Nov '11 - early '12), I could volunteer 10 hours per week if a project was fun, helpful, and well designed so all of us were happy with it.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
I would be interested in a larger project in 2012, which would likely require pay for real commitment. I am trying to set up green building consulting on the side which could subsidize working on a project such as this, and would need to start at $15/hr to be possible.
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit?
Definitely an interesting prospect for 2012!
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
Not for myself. I have a friend who is in the market for a tractor, but that's getting a head of ourselves.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
Not now, but glad to know it's possible.
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
I don't see my wife and I moving to MO, no offense, which might be a fatal obstacle. But I could see a large segment of my work life be with OSE.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology.
I don't think living there for 2 years is going to work, but the documentary filmmaker in me thinks it's capital-A Awesome. But anyways, we just met, let's see how we get along before talking about moving in.