Team Culturing Information
last updated: 19. April, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Eric MacNeil, American
- Location – Jersey City, NJ
- Contact Information –
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV –
- Hobbies and Pastimes - photography, music production, cooking, robotics, electronics, building things
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
I believe that open source is more versatile and useful. Being able to modify something to your specific needs can produce a much more efficient end product.
- Why are you interested in this work?
I believe that farm equipment should be easy to use, simple to repair, and cheap to make or buy. Modern farm equipment is none of these.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
No, but potentially in the future if i have need for them.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
No, but I would be open to the idea.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
Yes, I think it would help immensely to not have to ship equipment around the world and to third world countries. Machinery could be made with materials that are already local to the people or crisis area.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
I don't have any plans but I like the idea.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
GVCS can keep money in a locality, so the fabricator, who purchases materials from a local supplier, can provide the product to the local people.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
GVCS can be modified to work with local materials and supplies. By being open and modifiable, each locality can have its own version for the cheapest possible end cost while not relying on conflict materials or regions.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
I don't think it can address the problem, but It could provide better housing.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
By sourcing from locally available materials, products can be made in a way that local people can see the entire impact of creating one machine.
- Other comments
I'd like to say that this sounds like a great project and could be useful to so many people around the world. I hope I can help and I hope it takes off.
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
Not yet, but hopefully soon.
- I can write technical documentation if required.
- I am very familiar with Linux. I have some web design experience.
- I love cooking, but my last attempts at growing food were foiled by squirrels.
- I have experience with CAD as well as some simple circuit designs.
- I have experience with machine tools, cnc programming, and woodwork.
Electronics and Magnetics
- Very little experience.
- I have some experience with stepper motors and servos, mostly for hobby robotics.
- I have experience in annealing.
- I am a mechanical engineer. I also do hobby robotics and have a big interest in materials.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Design, CAD, fabrication.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Yes. Time would vary week to week, but most likely around 10 hours per week.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Yes. I can offer mechanical design and CAD support. Hourly rate is flexible depending on work.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Yes. I'm very interested in seeing this idea take off.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
Potentially if I'm living in an area where they would be useful to me directly.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.