Team Culturing Information
last updated May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Fabio França Araujo, brazilian
- Location – what is your city and country? - Brasilia, Brazil
- Contact Information – fabio.areasp at gmail dot com,
- Hobbies and Pastimes- Mountaineering, canoeing, ham radio
My academical background is in mechanical engineering and geophysics, but I have been away from work in this technical subjects for a long time now. I'm an enthusiast of open source software, and have some knowledge in GIS (geographical information systems) mapping and remote sensing. I'm also interested in ham radio, mountaineering and other outdoor activities. I have plans to engage again in engineering, starting with a refreshment in the use of CAD tools.
I live in a small farm in the suburbs of Brasilia, and in my spare time I´m engaged in promoting permaculture in my rural neighborhood. I maintain a website to help promoting sustainability to a broader audience in Brasilia, in a practical and pragmatical approach (http://www.sustentavelnapratica.net/). I also teach about renewable energy in the local PDC - (Permaculture Design Course).
I'm currently working on personal projects about solar energy (photovoltaics, solar ovens and dryers); small scale biogas production, small scale integrated aquaculture/agriculture (fertirrigation, aquaponics) and agroforestry. I'm eager to share my results with the OSE community, and contribute to other ongoing projects as well.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
- Why are you interested in this work?
I'm deeply inspired by the ideals supporting the OSE initiative, and I would like to dedicate some of my time, skills and enthusiasm to help
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Yes, But in fact I'm working in the development and building of open source equipments that I'm in more urgent need. For instance, I need a plough and a harrow now, and tractor later....
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
No, but I'm interested in promoting sustainable enterprises where I live, based on the GVCS
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
That is my first priority, to use GVCS to help reduce the inequalities in my coutry.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
No, but I'm interested in promoting sustainable enterprises where I live, based on the GVCS
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Yes, I think that academic studies are still convenient to promote widespread aceptation of a new and revolutionary ideia as OSE.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Yes, but I think that it is a long term goal.
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
This is my priority among the GVCS tools.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes, but realisticaly, I think it is another long term goal, at least to me.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
No. I'm not in survivalism...
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulatoin?
I think that the key to answer this questions is transition to a sustainable and resilient economy based on renewable natural resources.
WHAT are your skills?
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
I'm a Ham (amateur radio), so I can discuss and implement voice and data communication links, over HF and higher frequencies, including wifi.
I worked for a long time as a project manager, leading a team of 20+ people
I maintain a internet page, with some knowledge of html and joomla. Centuries ago I made code in Fortran, so I can understand the logic behind programing.
I can self finance and build prototipes for projects I'm involved with.
I manage a microfarm with two employees. We produce at least half of our own food.
I worked with CAD in the university, a long time ago. Now I started to study CAD again, beggining with 2D CAD (Draftsight). I'm going to start an Autocad course soon. I'm still trying to choose a free or open source CAD plataform to study, but I'm going to wait untill the CAD standards group decide upon one.
I have "hands on" experience in building ferrocement water tanks. I'm also handy with basic tools for wood working. I finished some projects, including solar ovens and dryers, and a savonius turbine and associated water pump.I'm currently experimenting with an small scale agricultural toolbar.
Electronics and Magnetics
I have some knoledge about electronics. for instance, I can fabricate basic circuits based on the schematics. I designed and instaled a small(450watts) off grid PV system in my house. I designed and instaled an autonomous (pv) wireless monitoring camera in my property. I have also some experience in building antennas for radio equipment. I have no experience with microcontrollers and sensors.
I have an university degree in mechanical engineering, but I have been working with other subjects for a long time.
I'm a micro scale farmer. Used with gardening (raised beds), greenhouses, aquaculture, traditional grain (beans, soy, corn, rice, wheat) production and agroforestry. I have permaculture designer certification, and regularly teach in the local permaculture design course.
WHAT have you already contributed?
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, beind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
I'm a true fan, but don't want to stop with this. I'm in the process of learning how to contribute more effectively.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I'm available to leader a project that match the GVCS priorities and my personal interests. Currently, I'm interested in: simple agricultural tools to improve small scale farm production; biogas generation in small scale biodigesters; integrated aquaculture-agriculture. I can contribuite in technical discussions, leadership and prototyping for GVCS projects. I Could contribute with CAD drawings with more training in the future.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
5 hours per week, I have a day job and other voluntary activities in my comunity
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
No, I want to contribute as a volunteer
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
No, I'm a little too far for that.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Yes, I'm a true fan
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Yes, in the long term I'd like to be living in something like this, but here in Brazil. I like the tropics!