Open Source Filament Dry Box
(Redirected from Filament Dryer)
- A Device Used to Dry, Organize, and Store FDM Filament Spools
- Uses the Open Source Dehumidifier to dry the inside
Existing Open Source Designs
- A Design by the Youtube Channel "Becky Stern"
- The Anybox
- "Modular Ender Spool Holder (M.E.S.H) by delman83 (modular roller, not full drybox)
- A Video by the YouTube Channel "Thomas Sanladerer" Titled "How to keep your filament dry: Make a storage box!" (~11 Minute Watch)
- A Video by the YouTube Channel "CNC Kitchen" Titled "Filament Dry Box || How to properly store and 3D print Nylon, PC, TPU, PVA..." (~7 Minute Watch)
Minimum Viable Product
- Modular Units (A Single Spool Model, A 5 Spool Box, A 10 Spool Box, and a Rack mount (or some other rack/module?) unit)
- Optional Integration with an FDM Filament Switcher
- Integration with print farm software (perhaps integrated runout detection, logging of humidity/preventing printing while wet
- Uses the Open Source Dehumidifier
- Airtight Box, either ots, or something 3d printed, then finished, and perhaps resin sealed?
- O ring and top lid
- Optional mounting system (especially for the rack/mount version for HMCUs and Print Farms where organization is key
- Open Source Dehumidifier
- Preferably the "smart" one so temp and humidity data can be gathered and used
Spool Holder System
- Individual Roller modules, common axle?
- See the "Anybox" Device
- Would this be of use?
- Would this be needed, or would the VERY low humidity increase evaporation enough to make this not needed?
- May also be a time factor
- See the code section in Open Source Dehumidifier
- Metal Enclosed Silica Gel Desiccant Module (Essentially a mesh / vented "brick" filled with Silica Gel based Desiccant that contains the desiccant, as well as allowing it to be Regenerated in an oven without other containers
- Stuff like this
- Granted a Bulk Purchase of Silica Gel and a metal mesh trashcan etc may work better for less
- Could also just have them in a cloth bag, then dump into baking tray
- Stuff like this