Main > IT Infrastructure > IT team
FLOYD EARL SMITH ———————————————————————————
321 Hemphill Place
Oakland, CA 94618
t: (415) 300-0887
Experienced writer with in-house and agency experience; author of a dozen published books.
Significant additional experience in project management, HTML and Web expert. Positive results
achieved with Apple Computer, AltaVista, Microsoft, HSBC, others. BA from University of San
Francisco and MSc from London School of Economics, both in Information Systems.
Marketing and Communications Consultant
Independent – San Francisco Bay Area
May 2009 – present
• Marketing consulting for Productive Edge, leading provider of Web 2.0-based and mobile
software development services
• Sustainability effort on green roofs development including research, interviews, writing
• Cleantech PR for solar PV, solar hot water, coal gasification, power management clients
• Communications consulting on the use of social media, with emphasis on text messaging
• Author of books on Apple iPad, Google Nexus One phone, Google Places, WordPress.
Senior Writer and Project Manager for Intranet Video
June 2008 – April 2009
• Created and documented online IPTV video portal for HSBC’s 330,000 employees globally,
reducing travel costs and emissions as part of HSBC’s “first carbon neutral bank” strategy
• Assessed user needs for Cisco system through interviews with 40 senior stakeholders globally
• Created end user, publisher, manager documentation; governance standards; reach study
• Created and maintained SharePoint site to support development, launch, lessons learned.
Hargreaves Risk & Strategy, London
June 2007 – April 2008
• Managed Hargreaves Risk and Strategy Web site and extranet
• Wrote for and edited Risk Digest for housing association managers and regulators
• Conducted risk management assessments for UK housing associations; documented results
• Conducted assessment of networked and Web 2.0-based risk management solutions.
Vice President, Product Marketing
HumanWare – London and Christchurch, NZ
April 2006 – June 2007
• Delivered Web site upgrade focused on accessibility for the blind and visually impaired
• Created or revised all content for Web site, wrote and reviewed product documentation
• Led product development effort for next-generation text to speech reader, myReader II
• Researched, wrote, delivered report assessing strategic direction for company worldwide.
Senior Project Manager
Navman – London and Auckland, NZ
March 2004 – March 2006
• Created research reports describing product needs for next-generation GPS devices
• Created or revised product documentation, online and print, for global audiences
• Wrote marketing communications deliverables for online, in-store and customer use
• Managed user interface redesign deployed throughout Navman product line.
item – London
September 2002 – March 2004
• Lead writer, managed teams of writers and designers for communications consultancy
• Led improvements to print, online publications for BAE, Smith & Nephew, Coca-Cola
• Writing and editing for UK government agencies, Amersham Biosciences, Vodafone.
Web Site Content Manager
Independent – Silicon Valley, California
April 1997 – September 2002
AOL – created, edited content for marketing channels with millions of dollars in revenue
• AltaVista – Group Product Manager leading team of five, sites w/1 million daily pageviews
• Microsoft – Defined site architecture, wrote documents, led re-launch of WebTV site.
Senior Technical Writer
Apple – Cupertino, California
November 1991 – April 1997
• Writer and manager for QuickTime VR, QuickTime Web interface, QTVR Web site
• Technical documentation for Apple hardware, Taligent operating system, including API-level
documentation and help systems for C, C++
• Led Apple "RoadMap" strategic plan presented to top executives, press and analysts.
West Coast Editor
Personal Workstation magazine, Mountain View, CA
March, 1989 – November, 1991
• Helped found new magazine dedicated to high-end PCs and workstations
• Sole editorial representative in Silicon Valley, led testing, wrote feature stories and editorials,
commissioned articles, contributed to magazine planning
• Editorial representative for magazine at industry forums nationwide.
Technical Publications Manager
IGC – Santa Clara, California
February 1988 – February 1990
• Technical publications manager for successful startup, winner of PC Magazine award
• Documented APIs, systems documentation, user documentation for graphics cards
• Created help documentation and manuals for front- and second-line technical support.
• London School of Economics, MSc, Department of Management, 2007. Thesis: “A
Phenomenological Study of an ICT System for the Blind.”
• Stanford University, Continuing Studies Program: Web Site Development, 1999 and 2001.
• University of San Francisco, BA: Information Systems Management, 1992. Grade Point
Average (GPA) 3.9 out of 4.0. National Merit Scholar (top 1% of US college applicants).
• Additional courses: management training, Web development, public speaking.
• More than a dozen books under including Web Usability For Dummies; AutoCAD For
Dummies; Que’s Computer Buyer’s Guide; Programming the Intel 80386
• Articles for Personal Workstation and other magazines and Web sites
• Marketing reports, competitive and strategic analyses as management consultant for Apple,
IBM, Silicon Graphics, Navman, HumanWare, others.
Member, Initiating Committee, Transition San Francisco.
Experienced public speaker, active in Toastmasters International.
Free to travel as required.