Frank J Zucco
Team Culturing Information
last updated: 17. May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Frank J. Zucco
- Location (city, country) - Castle Rock, Colorado
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) -
frankzucco (at) gmail (dot) com
303 (dot) 663 (dot) 2100 home
303 (dot) 506.6491 cell
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV -
Electrical engineer BSEE
MSOD--Masters in org development
Sales, Sales Management, Sales Training
Helped start a solar company, and 5 Renewable energy companies
Extensive gardening and orchard experience
Live in a zero energy house
Did executive coaching and organization development work
- Hobbies and Pastimes - hiking, gardening, orchard, renewable energy, guitar playing, nature, composting, researching
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes--totally. I think it is very bad people trying to own and possess things and writing all sorts of contracts to protect intellectual property. I think it better to share. At the same time--people should be able to make a living and benefit from their work. What you are doing brings these good things together.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
Because I would like to see a world where people can share their work instead of being forced to buy from big companies in the ways that have become popular in the west. I favor a life where people know how to grow food, and are not dependent on big corporations or governments which then puts control, power and direction in the hands of few.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
I do not yet know what the GVCS is. I am interested in learning. It is almost always true for me that, once I learn, I am good at teaching others.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?
I am not sure what this means. However, I think that returning basic food farming capabilities to local people is the right thing to do in the future. Is this what you are referring to? I already grow much of my own food in the summer. And have a grow room where I can grow a little fresh food in winter. I can teach how to do this on a small scale--as I have been doing it for years. On a larger--farming vs. gardening scale--I have no experience yet.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
In the future I envision the possibility of creating a farm that meets all the food needs of my family and friends and may sell some produce. So perhaps.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
I am interested, to start, in learning myself and helping others with what they are doing.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
not yet. There is plenty to do right here and now.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
not at this time.
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
This could be a fit for my skills--I would like to learn more here.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Not at the moment. I am fully invested in other green endeavors. But when the time presents itself...
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
I am not sure what this means. I am interested, initially in learning about the system and technologies, and seeing if I can contribute. I do not need anything "out" at the moment. But also have limited time to put "in". I am already involved full time in starting a green business in a more traditional business model. I would prefer to gradually transition my work to orgs that are most centered on sharing and making a living in an open source way.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power)?
Yes--I have 6 years of experience here. I live in a zero energy home.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
I do not know what this is, but sounds interesting. I just learned of GVCS yesterday. I will begin reading the wiki/blogs--whatever is out there in my spare time.
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
People trying to get a lot of money--more than they need or can use....people trying to steal or hoard value....these are reduced when people can see that they can take care of themselves without being dependent on large employers and governments. Then money is not so much needed. I live in a home that makes its own energy and supplies a significant amount of food for me. It is 1/8 acre. I would like to see this kind of thing spread--to where people can take care of much of their basic needs themselves with a network of like-minded individuals.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
Absolutely! There is so much plenty in nature. Getting into a position in this society where you can get that without buying it is currently hard--but we can make it much easier!
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
Yes. When people are taking care of themselves--population is not so much of a problem--because the people there are can become more self-sufficient, inter-independent and cooperative. And people are motivated to enjoy work and life--and so are not needing to have kids or have sex as an escape mechanism or default. People who control their own destiny are more mindful about what is happening and what they are creating.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
Yes. The earth can be healed in this way.
- Do you have any other comments that you'd like to make?
I think the most critical thing right now is to build paths toward a more shared and sustainable way of living. People will choose this if it is an obvious choice--but someone with knowledge and resources has to build it before young people--like my son--have a choice. My son has a girlfriend--wants to have a house and kids. How will he make a living?? Right now, there is no way open to him that fits with his desires. He has to take a typical job in sales or insurance. This may create other ways for people to make a living that fit with their understanding of how the world can be.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
First--I need to learn about what is already happening. Then I will know how to contribute.
- What are you missing in the project?
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
Materially--nothing.Spiritually--my appreciation and feeling of unity with you.
- I have been a facilitator--the glue that helps hold people together. And also the kick in the ass that destabilizes things so they can reconfigure better.
- Strong here. PR--yes--a lot. Strategic dev--yes, a lot. Org architecture I have studied but I am naturally weak here. Public speaking--yes. Networking--yes. Legal agreements a little.
- I know little here, but can learn.
- Weak here.
- I cook organically well. I grow my own food--plant based only. I have dome food processing. NO agriculture--that is next.
- I am good at the big picture of design. Bad at the specifics. I am a 60,000 foot guy. Electrical engineer--but not a good designer of circuits anymore.
- Woodworker. Good garden designer and builder.
Electronics and Magnetics
- Trained here--but decades ago. Could help if needed.
- Long ago and far away.
- I am considered a subject matter expert in solar, but do not consider myself an expert here. I am a great teacher of the theories. Not as good at the specifics of design and build. My interest is in gaining and spreading the understanding.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
right now--I am willing to invest 4-6 hours per week to learn what you are doing. Once I understand--I will know what to do. That may mean nothing (unlikely) it may mean gradually increasing my hours each month (very likely) or it may mean abandoning everything else I am doing and putting all time into GVCS (unlikely at this moment)
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
I do not need pay. But if you wanted me to become full time, I may pursue that in order to replace the income I am currently making.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
not yet. Let me see what you are doing. Then I do plan to contribute if it is what I think.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
depends on what I learn...
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
I am very interested in this!!! And my kids probably will be also!!