WHO are you?
* Name: Gary Jaffe * Country: United States * Contact Information: GaryJ.CMT@gmail.com // (925) 381-7581 (cell phone) * Resume/CV:
Experience related to this field:
Lifeguard, CPR and first aid certified
Youth coordinating and event planning experience
Two years experience (one year building, one year training) in metal shop
Adept at working with landscaping tools
Experienced stone-worker (flagstone, concrete, and poured/stamped cement)
Conceived, planned, led teams to construct wood structures (compost bins, shed)
Worked professionally as a cabinet maker (melamine-board shelving units)
Founder of the sustainability club on campus at Diablo Valley College
Certified Massage Therapist
Sociology major at Sacramento State University
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
* Do you endorse open source culture? Yes, I am currently attending Sacramento State University; my major is Sociology with a minor in Business. I hope to be able to give developing countries tools to work with for their own benefit, instead of turning people into dependant consumers.
* Why are you interested in developing or supporting this work? I believe making these 40 tools, with interchangeable parts is imperative for the success of people who desire to sustainably work the land they live on, and I am interested in learning the skills that it takes to make these projects come to life.
* How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues? The idea of GVCS putting itself out of business as a main goal is exactly how forward thinking projects like this will succeed. By working toward eliminating dependency, we are helping others to help themselves.
WHAT are your skills?
* List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - For the past 4 years, I have been running my own massage therapy business, I am also the music editor for an online publication, the East Bay Arts and Culture Review Organizational – I am completing 17 units at my community college, which is about 5 hours a day of school work. Learning is my passion, and being organized is imperative for me to maximize my knowledge Computer Support – I am adept in many aspects of computer technologies CMS – I am skilled at analyzing data and interpreting spreadsheets and graphs CRM – Have presented comprehensive composting and recycling program plans to a faculty board. Talking with others and finding solutions to group and individual problems is one of my strongest skills Finances – Personal finances and money management experience such as safe counting and store-closing Design – One year cabinet building experience, created and designed several compost bins Natural Building – skilled at working with air compressor tools, such as nail guns and hammers, and electric tools such as table saws, molding machines, and drill guns Electronics – One year experience with lighting and rigging in a professional theatre and fly-system Automation – Experienced in sound-board operation for large-scale performances Metallurgy – 2 years training and coaching in metal shop Engineering – Able to work well with my hands, and skilled at following directions Fabrication – Factory-ready assembly of cabinets and working compost bins I have built by myself with my hands Prototyping – Able to plan projects; visualize, draft on paper, while thinking 3 or 4 steps ahead CNC – Very interested and eager to learn more of the following: CAD - CAM - CAE - Video Production - Information Architecture - Agriculture - Home gardening and composting Energy – Active member of my community and school, leading the sustainability club at my school and hosting events Architecture - Animation/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing – Brought together different departments at my school to discuss green and energy-saving procedures Education – Led students to relocate recycling bins on campus to more efficient locations, and clearly distinguish garbage from recycling, as well as educate students and teachers on proper recycling practices Construction – Contributing member of many landscaping projects, including stone tiling and grouting, cement pouring and stamping, and debris-clearing Industry - CNC – experienced with hand lathes and other drill-cutting tools Chemistry - Product Design - Other
* How have you already contributed to the project? No
HOW can you help?
* How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development? I am willing and able to travel onsite and spend my time assisting and learning in the process of building tools such as the brick-maker and tractor
* Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week? Up to 40 hours per week, depending on need and workload required
* Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate? I offer my time and energy, and my compensation would be in travel/living expenses, with a pay rate of $15 per hour.
* Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit? Yes.
* Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development? No
* Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
* Are you a True Fan? If not, why not? Yes
* Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis? Yes
Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community?[link title]