Immersion training involves a written and practical evaluation. The written evaluation is a one hour test, and the practical evaluation is another hour on Evaluation Day. Such evaluations will be performed quarterly to certify that a person is qualified to run XM or XE workshops effectively, or that they are improving their effectiveness.
It is expected that after the 5 week immersion, the candidate will be fully trained to execute a workshop. Such readiness is the core of the Immersion Program. On top of workshop readiness, each candidate will need to understand OSE's development methods of collaborative literacy to the point that they can effectively lead - or begin to lead in collaboration with another member of OSE staff - a Design Jam, Design Sprint, Incentive Challenge, or other design/development event.
While the focus of the Immersion Program is on the ability to run a workshop - solo - leadership of design/development events may take longer. If a candidate is not ready for leading design/dev events, they will be expected to improve their skills in this area with intent of running events in the following quarterly cycles. The point of measuring performance is to assess where a given candidate is at, to improve performance for the next quarter.
Here are some specific details on the level of detail that every Fellow will be responsible for - both theoretical and practical. This is a sample list and is not comprehensive, intended to show how much detail the candidate is responsible for. The details rely primarily on the ability to think on one's feet once a good level of practical and theoretical skill is acquired.
- What is the mission, vision, and roadmap of OSE.
- When did OSE start, and its main accomplishments.
- What is the goal of Extreme Manufacturing workshops? There are 3 main goals.
- Discuss the concept of the Open Source Everything Store in one paragraph.
- Is it possible? Anything is possible - the better question is how likely it is or how much effort is required to achieve it.
- How are admissible parts for the GVCS defined?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of modular design?
- Discuss some of the basic product ecologies by taking 10 of the tools representative of manufacturing, construction, agriculture, energy, and materials sectors - and discussing how they relate to each other.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of scalable design.
- How to clear neodymium magnets of crazy glue
- What are the specifications of the Neodymium supermagnets?
- Where within the D3D ecosystem do we currently use the supermagnets? There are currently 4 places
- What are the 3 design considerations for a magnetic mount?
- Discuss use cases for a magnetic vs a bolted mount
3D Printer Design
- List the possible practical Universal Axis configurations (XYYZ, etc) and describe under which conditions these are useful.
- What is the maximum size of a printer that is achievable with the Universal Axis - and discuss the main limitating factors.
- What is the unique part count of 3D printed parts for the Universal Axis. 4 or 5, depending how you count.
- How does the universal axis self-align as a unit?
- How do 2 universal axis that are joined at a right angle self-align vertically and perpendicularly?
- Discuss the 2 ways that the Y axis can attach to the frame, and how to attach it in each case.
- Discuss which of the 3 axis sides can be attached to one another at a right angle.
- What is the maximum number of axis pieces that can attach at a right angle to another axis piece? Take the axis piece that allows for the most attachments like this.
- What is the maximum number of axis pieces that can attach directly to another axis piece in parallel? The requirement is using admissible bolts of the D3D ecosystem. Answer: 2
- What is the maximum number of axis pieces that can be attached to another axis piece in parallel? The requirement is using admissible bolts of the D3D ecosystem. Indirect attachment can be used. Answer: infinite.
- What is the maximum number of axis pieces that can attach directly to another axis piece in parallel? There is no requirement of using admissible D3D parts. Answer: infinite.
- What is the official 3D printing software toolchain for OSE? Discuss the steps from scanning to printing and everything in between.
- State 3 main reasons why OSE Linux is useful and relevant to the work of OSE.
- Draw a diagram of the 3DP Control Panel with all of its components.
- Discuss polarity requirements for all 15 electronic connections.
Startup and Troubleshooting
- List the steps for troubleshooting an extruder that does not extrude when the extruder motor is spinning, and how to correct for all the possible issues.
- Prior to first flight - how do you verify all the electrical components?
- Prior to startup, how do you verify all the mechanical components for final quality control? Belts tight, all bolts checked, motion by hand smooth on all axes.
- How do you check that the Y axis is parallel?
- What are possible causes of the Y axis not being parallel? How do you correct it?
- Discuss how skewness applies to the Y axis.
- How do you correct reversed motion of steppers?
- How do you tell the correct motion of the steppers?
- How can you tell that only one of the 2 y motors is working when you see the y axis move?
- How can you tell if a stepper motor wire is wired correctly by examining the 2 ends?