It Has Been Proven That Machines Cannot Produce Meaning
This question, in technical terms, is asking whether Strong AI is possible.
- Anectodal evidence that machines don't produce meaning - 
- But, does information science actually derive mathematically that machines cannot produce meaning?
- TLDR; if it makes meaning, it's no longer a machine 
- Nature - TLDR; General Artificial Intelligence is possible; Strong AI is not. 
- No computer has passed the Turing Test yet
- There is no answer to the main question here because intelligence, and meaning, are not well-defined terms. 
Now here is the answer - Alan Turing proved that computers cannot do everything in 1936. This is known as the Halting Problem.