J1 Visas for OSE

From Open Source Ecology
Jump to: navigation, search

Visa application:

Visa Waiver Program

Lets Swedes travel to USA "for tourism or business*" and lets us stay for up to 90 days. The type of approved business might look like this: "... travelers consulting with business associates, attending scientific, educational, professional or business conventions/conferences, settling an estate or negotiating contracts"

So if I'm "attending" the workshops, this visa will work. I should not get paid during my visit.

If I'm interviewed by security at the boarder, I will explain to them my role in the workshops. They have authority to deny my admission if they don't believe me, or if they believe me but don't agree that I qualify for admission: "you will be inspected by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer at a port of entry who may determine that you are inadmissible under the Visa Waiver Program or for any reason under United States law."


Student visa

Might take > 3 months to get.

This requires I-20 or DS-2019 documentation from OSE:

"To issue I-20 or DS-2019 documentation for student visas, U.S. institutions must be certified by the Department of Homeland Security SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) (F, M visas) or designated by the Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (J visas), respectively."

If Marcin has an employment status at a university (a very small employment, like 5 % would suffice), then an application for a J-1 visa would probably be approved eventually.


Work visa

Might take > 6 months to get.

This requires I-129 documentation from OSE: http://www.uscis.gov/i-129

The type of work visa depends on the type of work I will be doing. The categories best matching our program are:

"H-1B (specialty occupation)

An H-1B visa is required if you are coming to the United States to perform