Team Culturing Information
last updated: 1. May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - James Jones
- Location (city, country) - San Antonio, TX, USA
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) -
data (dot) pathway (at) gmail (dot) com
cubespawn (at) gmail (dot) com
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV -
Logging, Lumbering, Commercial Fishing in my youth.
Helicopters in the Army
Machine Shop for a few years
30+ Years of IT
Industrial Controls for a short time...
- Hobbies and Pastimes - Cooking Italian and Mediterranean food, Stone Carving, Rock Walls, baking bread, making beer and chasing girls
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes, wealth for all instead of a few (one of the many beneficiaries will be... me!) Enlightened self interest!...
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
OSE's project goals and mine are perfectly aligned as to objectve - our methods will (naturally) differ somewhat
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
To my small group, yes, in general, no
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?
Yes, its the primary effect that localized production and a closed loop material economy will logically take.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Yes, though be aware, my focus is automation and robotics as the path to post scarcity wealth, so many of your goals are identical - the path to them differs ;-)
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
No, business in the contemporary sense is likely to become more irrelevant as the process progresses
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
I'm that guy!! - I intend to fabricate machines of all sorts
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
after its established - I'd like to set up a "recycling walmart" where you bring old stuff in (raw materials) and take new stuff home, without charge - I'd like to work on designing products for recyclability
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
Yes, thats been the plan for a few years - I'd like to sit in on the repository design process - with an eye toward purely automated processes to retrieve the manufacturing specifications, fulfill the BOM, request materials as needed etc.
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
Yes, my focus will be in highly integrated aquaponics and vertical growing - high density greenhouse practices.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Potentially - though "going poor" and leaving the monetary system seem contradictory... however your success is my success - so long as the technical data remains open
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
Yes, and "Voyage from yesteryear" give this concept good treatment - the book was written in 1981 or so
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power)?
Yes I have a couple ideas here that may be useful
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes GVCS + pervasive robotics and automation
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
No, but it can provide a secure alternative to rigged national economies.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
Not in and of itself, but it can foster a real stability that will remove the roots of those conflicts - I cannot imagine the behemothean government agencies realizing this in time to stave them all off
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
Actually, I think it could make them much worse initially, until the cultural aspects of localization sink in. unfortunately, this technology has just as much potential for mis-application as any other. but potentially it will reset our culture somewhat and steer it away from the current "shiny shit" value system
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
if established with an inherent dependency on recycling - it can create a 90% reduction in the demand for raw materials and steer product design toward re-usability or easy harvest from expended products
- Do you have any other comments that you'd like to make?
Read James Hogans "Voyage from Yesteryear" while it presents an idealized case - it is a very accesable view into a post scarcity society plus is already in circulation and is a dollar book in a lot of places
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
Nothing new! ;-), I'm deeply committed to heading this direction personally.
- What are you missing in the project?
Can't say without more research into ALL the things your doing - in the aggregate I'm in full agreement with your objectives - on a case by case basis I doubt I'd agree with every step - but thats to be expected.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
Abandon any idealogical element that hinders progress - for instance - if it can't be done "Open Source" today - do it anyway and add the need for open source elements needed to keep moving forward
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
some advice and a small amount of money as well as early access to my project
- nope, I'm "just some guy"
- I have managed projects - but I'm not wild about it - probably not my forte
- I'm becoming knowledgeable about the EMC2 linux based machine controller and have dabbled in linux since the late 80's - but I'm no expert
- Yes I have written business plans - but I won't write any more - I might review one however
- not a community planner
- I've skinned and butchered many dozen animals worked in the fishing industry both fishing and processing - I'm more for cooking gourmet for 2 ;-)
- Yes I'm not a pro but I have built a few buildings and additions, some mechanical design used CAD, CAM and lots of esoteric (mostly obsolete) machine tool software.I have been "the IT Guy" for several different companies
- LOL at the chainsaw safety - I ran various power saws from a little mac 60 to a pioneer 5 cube for 10-12 years...My father built a 40 inch sawmill in our front yard when I was a kid, the neighbor had a 60 inch saw down the road I fell trees and sawed lumber for a decade or so - I also became a helicopter mechanic and crew chiew and came home and heli-logged - I'm a part time machinist - I'm building my 3rd house
Electronics and Magnetics
- I have a little superficial knowledge in this area
- Getting there! CubeSpawns Mark 1 mill is nearly running
- You may wan't to look for a foundryman or someone with assaying skills
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Yes, within the bounds of my projects focus
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
No, I'm a dozen hours SHORT a week - buddy, can you spare 15 minutes?!
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
no, but I'd like to visit for a day or two some time
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
maybe to drop off a cube design... ;-)
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
probably not - just not an economic reality
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
Sort of, I still have to establish my machining resources - afterward, definitely
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
I was, something went wrong in my subscription last month - I'll look at renewing...
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Very nice! But I'll cheer from here I think.