Jason Brooks 2013
Team Culturing Information
Last updated: May 6, 2013
WHO are you?
- Name - Jason Brooks
- Location (city, country) - Beaverton, Oregon, USA
- Contact Information (email, skype, phone) - jasonbbrooks (at) gmail (dot) com
- Picture -
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV - http://www.linkedin.com/in/jason0/
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Absolutely. I work in the software world every day. I participate in the Northwest blacksmithing association where techniques and advice are in contininuous interplay. many of the blacksmiths in the group refer to themselves as "the original maker culture".
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
My chosen family is building a farm. We are at the planning stages, and I am a gearhead. I have a small woodshop, a blacksmithing forge, and a wirefeed welder. I would much rather build than buy, unless time is a critical factor.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
Enabling people with knowledge, know-how, and skills to make what they need.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
I don't know yet: I am still "drinking from the firehose".
- What is missing in the project?
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
WHAT are your skills?
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Communications: amateur radio "general" license: KF7TMV
more to come...
- How have you already contributed to the project?
nothing yet. just reading and getting excited.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Learning what I can, and building a number of tools from your plans.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
I don't know yet. I would like to find out what opportunities exist. At the least to begin my own set of equipment.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
I would be interested in working for pay. I have a wide skill set.
First, I have been doing linux systems administration for 15 years, including networking, dev ops, call center support, low voltage wiring, and some light programming. On an hourly, full-time basis, I generally aim for between $35-40/hr
The rest of my (albeit advanced hobby-level) skills range from woodworking, sheet metal, welding, blacksmithing, general handyman, wiring (240 volts, single phase), machining, plumbing etc.
I don't have a very good idea of an hourly rate for the second category.
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit?
One day, yes.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
Depends on my income. However, should I begin to sell the equipment, I will be happy to give back a percentage of any profit to this organization.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
probably not, but then I might surprise myself.
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
I would very much enjoy that.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment â€“ a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology.
I would be interested but I have a family I must remain in the area for.