Jean-Baptiste Log - 2013
for more current entries see Jean-Baptiste Log
- 1 2013
- 2 October 2013
- 3 September 2013
- 4 August 2013
- 5 July 2013
- 5.1 Tuesday, 30
- 5.2 Saturday, 27
- 5.3 Wednesday, 24
- 5.4 Monday, 22
- 5.5 Sunday, 21
- 5.6 Saturday, 20
- 5.7 Friday, 19
- 5.8 Thursday, 18
- 5.9 Tuesday, 16
- 5.10 Saturday, 13
- 5.11 Friday, 12
- 5.12 Thursday, 11
- 5.13 Monday, 8
- 5.14 Saturday, 6
- 6 Graphic elements
Latest version of passive solar infographic.
For most general purposes, use the first logos in the galleries (gold on blue background). For infographics and other applications of the blueprint background you can use the white on blue bg logos. For latakoo branding we used the gold on grey background.
the following logos have a small shadow cast onto the background but are otherwise identical to the above versions.
rectangular format dimensions: 3,780 × 2,598 pixels square format dimensions: 3,780 × 3,780 pixels
HEX color codes:
- gold: FFE69C
- blue: 2F69B3
- grey: 2D2D2D
- white: FFFFFF
- light blue: 6699FF
RGB color codes:
- gold: 255, 230, 156
- blue: 47, 105, 179
- grey: 45, 45, 45
- white: 255, 255, 255
- light blue: 102, 153, 255
Made the modifications to the MicroHouse infographic, sent the revision to Chris Reinhart for further comments. Received comments to fine tune the graphic, made those adjustments and sent the updated version to Chris. Approval received and saw it posted on facebook, cool!!
Hangout with Chris Reinhart  about recomended modifications to first draft of the MicroHouse infographic. Also suggested creating a separate graphic on the topic of passive solar heating via the truth window/window module. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Infographic Sample Files
Download the files below to use as a guide for creating OSE machine infographics:
- [GIMP infographic background download] @05-11-2013 updated GIMP file no longer uses folders and so is backwards compatible at least to GIMP 2.6.1
- [Inkscape document]
- [flattened background image]
The GIMP (v2.8.6) file contains the illustration for the Ironworker in this case, a component detail and an sample arrow. The Inkscape (v0.48.4 r9939) file contains the a flattened version of the GIMP file in jpg format (placed as a link inside the document) plus the texts (title, subtitle, main description, tags and descriptions) and linear elements.
Video Title Graphic Template in GIMP
Grid: among the layers is one called "minor grid lines" which is non visible for better legibility when used as a video title. If you plan on using this file for another type of graphic and want to include the minor grid lines, just make that layer visible by clicking the eye icon to the left of the layer name in the Layer Dialog Box.
Title Block: The above file includes a title block just in case. You can find it in a non visible folder called "Title Block". If you plan on using the title block, make the folder visible by clicking on the eye icon to the left of the folder name, and hide the OSE logo and corresponding blue patch.
Drop shadow specifications: GIMP doesn´t allow the drop shadow filter to adjust dynamically when changing text (in this case) so when you subtitute the sample text "main title goes here", you´ll have to delete the sample dropshadow layer and create a new dropshadow layer that matches the new text you create.
The dropshadow function can be found in the menu Filters -> Light and Shadow -> Drop Shadow
The settings to use are:
- X offset: 10
- Y offset: 15
- Blur radius: 15
- Color: black (default)
- Opacity: 35%
- Allow resizing: yes (click check box)
(i need to confirm these specifications with Rob Kirk) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
First trial using GIMP and Inkscape (rather than Photoshop and Illustrator) for creation of OSE Ironworker infographic. Sent draft to Marcin and Dan Benamy for input on which texts to include and/or other components to highlight. Still need to add a cross section view of the shear blade area in the empty circle.
Working up preliminary sketches for upcoming ironworker infographic
Worked with Marcin, Dan B. and Rob K. on the first realtime build (disassembly in this case) and documentation session of the Ironworker III for three modules (Overall Machine, Bottom frame and Top frame) in dozuki scribing the part lists and instructions for each step of the process. Also added a cover image to the Top Frame category.
Sent Chris Reinhart preliminary draft of microhouse infographic for comments/notes/corrections
Sketching modules, elements, details raw sketches and compiling microhouse information for new infographic based on microhouse module material list and other information gathered from Chris Reinhart´s log
Infographic: Utility Module
Added texts and detail to final draft of Utility Module infographic using information gathered from Chris Reinhardt´s logUtility Module 92.25 Complete and Utility Module Design and sent the file for text revision and approval to Marcin, Chris and Rob K. [add link to file here] _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
design sprint notes:
creating finales sketches for utility module infographic
creating preliminary sketches for utility module infographic
design sprint notes:
Infographic: CEB Press (Liberator)
design sprint notes:
Goals for the week
- Create Ironworker, Backhoe and CEB Press infographic
- Create an infographic with module list for life trac 6
- Experiment embedding a thinglink tagged infographic into dozuki for more visual navigation
- machine sketch component study based on photographs and available sketchup files
- browse wiki for ironworker documentation texts to select for element highlights
- preliminary layout of images and text in vector graphics software
Design sprint notes: worked on filling in dozuki machine guides with 4 top level placeholder categories. we´re about half way through filling in these place holders, during the next documentation session we should start with the open source car and finish this phase of the dozuki documentation. NOTE: Dozuki´s category manager doesn´t allow typing in a back slash "/" because it interferes with the way the URL is automatically generated. However, after creating the category title, click on it to go to the guide page it´s associated with, clikc edit in the top right hand and then add in the back slash. After saving and refreshing the category manager list, the back slash will appear in the title. At a future date we may want to keep an eye on this, because the URL gets a little messy when interpreting the backslash in the title. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Modified the GVCS Tractor infographic and got approval from MJ. Also uploaded the infographic to the corresponding dozuki page.
Infographic: Tractor (Lifetrac 6)
Design Sprint Notes: Received feedback from Marcin on first draft of the Tractor infographic.
- In regard to the Documentation session: Tibor is looking into automating visualization for wiki page creation using spreadsheet data.
- The structure for the OSE Dozuki page is starting to come together, it will be the first place newcomers can go to find up to date information on machines being built, in development, list of modules and previous versions already built and tested (see tractor page for example). The idea is that a visitor when clicking on a machine they want to view gets directed to a page with 4 categories: development, modules, assembly and earlier versions, along with an overview of the machine, what´s being called the "machine story" for now.
NOTE: On the main guide page, machines that are represented with machine icon on white background means that they haven´t been built yet, whereas machines that are represented with a photograph are currently being worked on.
Generated a few versions of a title bar for OSE videos Rob Kirk is working on. (add some thumbnails here, for reference)
Added texts to the Tractor infographic. Texts were found on logs of Justin and Cory Shenk and in wiki page Bobcat Standard Quick Attach for Lifetrac. Given the available information, I reorganized the layout of the infographic to leave more room around the highlighted component sketches.
Design sprint notes: I came in late to the documentation sesssion, almost as it was wrapping up. Helped create module breakdown categories for a few machines on the OSE dozuki platform based on the list in this spreadsheet and added "missing" machine icons to dozuki guide page (add link here to machine icons at 800x800px size).
Worked on Latakoo public channel branding, reviewed available options for customization of the page look. Looked around the GVCS high resolution page for background images (these are great by the way) and hopefully in the future more people will add quality captures to this page.
Completed tractor sketch to insert in machine infographic on dozuki. Nice!-MJ
design sprint notes: currently on the dozuki, the cnc torch table is the template we´ll be using for further development of machine documentation. Fred pointed towards a couple of different software solutions for a delegation model tree structure that would allow for future collaborators to more readily step into ongoing OSE projects. we´re looking for more graphic designers/illustrators to collaborate on the creation of machine infographics, perhaps through an online platform similar to 99 designs (enfasis on the similar).
Infographic: CNC Torch/Router Table
Finalized CNC Torch/Router Table infographic with incorporated comments and suggestions from Marcin .
Thumbnails & Downloads
These files should be used by collaborators who plan to contribute future machine infographics.
- Download the blueprint background here
- Download the illustrator file here File:OSE infographic template v1-1.ai (add thumbnail here)
- Download the arvo font here (add thumbnail here)
New machine infographics to work on
- Tractor (approved 12-08-2013)
- Ironworker (starting this week)
- CEB Press (approved 21-09-2013)
- Backhoe (starting this week)
- Soil Pulverizer
- Power Cube
- CNC Circuit Mill + Laser Cutter + 3D Printer (Hydrafabber)
- Dimensional Sawmill
- CNC Precision Multimachine
- Open Source Welder
last update 21 September 2013
Sent an updated version of the CNC torch table infographic to Marcin and Rob K. for further discussion.
Generated a rough version of the CNC torch table infographic and received comments and suggestions from Marcin and Rob K.
Listened in for most of the design sprint. With regards to documentation, the idea of a more siloed structure for updating information on the wiki was proposed in order to better keep track of the different prototype versions being built, especially when multiple builds are going on simultaneously, perhaps by managing different levels of contribution access.
We also looked over Tibor´s machine dashboard information template which, once the forms are filled in, formats the information for easy pasting into the wiki dashboard for that machine, or dozuki, and should make updating information easier with more consistent results across the site. A style/look/feel for these texts hasn´t been agreed upon yet.
After some more reading and video viewing I eventually realized there was documentation available for the second prototype of the CNC torch table already under construction with an new table and gantry structure. During that process I generated these two pages of skecthes sketchbook page 1&sketchbook page 2
Conducted a quick survey of what information graphics for this product categor look like. (link to pdf documentation of design process needs to be pasted here or embedded from issuu.com)
Listened in on the design sprint about gas delivery system for the CNC torch table
Goals for the coming week (15 - 19 July)
- Create infographic for CNC torch table (final graphic/artwork sent to Rob K. and Marcin on 24-07-2013) add link here
- 1. information to include
- an image of the machine
- images of the components/parts
- text labels for components/parts
- text general description
- 2. design considerations
- keep in mind formatting and layout issues for future infographics for all 50+ OSE machines
- these infographics should give even newcomers to OSE a general overview of each machine
- questions to answer in the infographic
- ¿how is it scalable?
- ¿how is it modular?
- which other machines is it related to (machine ecosystem)
- Create icons for six CNC torch table dozuki documentation categories (on hold as of 23-07-2013)
- plasma cutter integration
- stepper driver
- stepper motor controller
- table structure
- torch height control
- universal tool mounting
- Follow along and do sketchup tutorial nº2 (watched on of 26-07-2013)
Added on more graphic (generic hose routing schematic) to backhoe dozuki documentation. backhoe categories
Added two more graphics (boom and dipper stick) to backhoe dozuki documentation. backhoe categories
Mocking up sample guides for backhoe dipper stick for further discussion backhoe categories
- Size for dozuki guide images 800 x 600px minimum
- Size for dozuki category images 592 x 444px minimum
- Watch out when naming categories (and maybe guides as well) for the first time!! the title text will determine the URL of the category, so if future changes are made (and this might be due to my privilege settings) the URL name won´t update with the change in title. For example, clicking on the first link in this log entry will take you to a URL ending in "how_to_build_a_boom" even though the on screen title is "Dipper stick part guides".
- rough sketch  the component with black ballpoint
- scan it at 300dpi
- drop it into photoshop on top of blue print background (add link to file here)
- invert image color (shortcut command PC: Ctrl + i)
- mask off extraneous lines to clean it up a bit
- trace the basic outline with the pen tool
- select the traced outline and fill with background blue and add a drop shadow.
- save for web at 1890 x 1299px (roughly 756kb)
Completed Sketchup Cube Test. Hangout session with Marcin and Rob about OSE machine & parts "how to" documentation in dozuki 
Backgrounds for Videos
Note: the official OSE font is Arvo.
Image size: 3840 × 2160 pixels
OSE blueprint bg (.PSD 4.45MB)
OSE blackboard bg (.PSD 5.71MB)
OSE dry erase board bg (.PSD 5.71MB)
OSE green board bg (.PSD 5.71MB)