Team Culturing Information
last updated: 1. May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Jeff Meeks
- Location (city, country) - Montesano, WA USA
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) - jsmeeks (at) centurytel (dot) net
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV - At our home on 10 acres (which I built)I now run a homemade sawmill and build boats with my home-built cnc router.I have good skill in CAD, G-code, EMC, and Excel.http://www.westsatsop.com
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
I'm very supportive of the open source culture but lack the coding skills to participate in the more conventional ways.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I value the ethos of reduce, reuse, recycle. I think diverting scrap from a landfill to repurpose it into items and devices that improve quality of life, while teaching ones self new skills is about the most environmentally friendly thing a person can do.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
I think that encouraging the maker (as opposed to consumer) frame of mind, we decrease the human footprint.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
It's really too soon for me to answer that intelligently. I am a person of modest means, and the fact that I live on the wrong coast suggests that my contributions will probably be mostly IP.
- What are you missing in the project?
I like the idea of bootstrapping. I think some more exploration of how each tool enables the development of subsequent ones is important.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
One of my passions is inclusion for people with disabilities, particularly people with developmental disabilities. Villages consist of a diversity of people. I would suggest we put some thought into how to enable them to contribute in a fulfilling way.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Communications: 12 years as an elected official. 3 years as a manager in a medium sized company reporting to the CEO. Skilled writer.
Computer support: power user skill with powerpoint, excel, MS project.
Finances: business, municipal and household budgeting.Design: my main core competency is design for manufacture.
Natural building: I built my own house using a meaningful percentage of salvaged materials and logs milled onsite.
Electronics: I built the control panel of my own CNC machine.
Automation: My cnc machine runs EMC.
Metallurgy: not muchEngineering: 20 years as a design engineer. (no degree)
Fabrication: build my house, shop and CNC machine.
Agriculture: I have a garden and a small greenhouse.
Energy: Not much, but I've studied biodiesel, microhydro and EV.
Architecture: I've designed some houses, but I built my house from someone else's design.
Video/Graphics/Art: Video, not much. Graphics/art, I use Inkscape and Gimp to design signage for my cnc machine and my vinyl cutter.
PR: not much
Education: I've been told that my mangement style could best be described as teacher.
Industry: mechanical/web development/self employment
Product Design: strong.
- How have you already contributed to the project?
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
My sawmill was built by another person, but I'm happy to provide photos/measurements/drawings/advice about it.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
probably 5 or 6 depending on the project
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Maybe. If I can recoup my investment in materials for things like vinyl, signage, cnc-cut parts I'd be happy.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
Probably not. Family business and travel costs preclude it, but it sounds like fun.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Noa) because I want to know moreb) because my means are modestc) because I believe that my skills are of more value.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.