Team Culturing Information
last updated: 28. April, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Jeff Schulman
- Location (city, country) -
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) - contact (at) jeffschulman (dot) com
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV -
- Former Sr. Staff photographer for an international culture and entertainment magazine
- Experience doing copy editing and design for the magazine
- Systems Administrator for 10+ years, primarily on commercial systems, but with an emphasis on utilizing FLOSS when and wherever possible
- Current IT systems engineer
- Masters' degree in Political Science
- Good with my hands and following/creating instructions (I can follow a Chilton's guide to fix a car)
- A moderate understanding of systems engineering and project management methodologies
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Absolutely - post-scarcity in the digital realm is already a reality. It makes perfect sense to embrace this fact and leverage it wherever possible.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
This idea is extraordinarily powerful and potentially world-changing. If people -- all people -- can master their environments and live a life of abundance, mankind as a whole has the possibility to unleash creative ability on a level that's beyond imagination.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
Competition for resources has been the primary reason for conflict throughout human history. Enabling the material well-being for all mankind could create the conditions to unleash a renaissance of innovation worldwide, with unimaginable growth, prosperity, and creativity.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
Nothing - I'm ready to contribute right now.
- What are you missing in the project?
I'd like to see the media production quality polished.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
More input. I'm completely sold on ego-less group collaboration, and the more solid people that start communicating and creating, the better.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Communications: Experience designing and administering corporate IT systems. Experience as a photographer/editor/designer for an international culture. Developed and maintained a corporate wiki for 5 years
Organizational: Leadership training and experience in the military
Computer Support: I can do pretty much anything outside of coding
Design: Systems and applicationsVideo/Graphics/Art: Photography, print, publication and web
Construction: give me a tool and I'll learn to use it; I do have a few months of experience working on a slipform curb construction team
- How have you already contributed to the project?
I became a true fan the day that I discovered the project
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
1. Leveraging my current skill set to collaborate remotely
2. I'm not bad at copy editing and layout design, and have a solid handle on photography.
3. Learning new skills where needed
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Of course, ~5 hours per week
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
Not at this time, but in the future it may be an option.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Yes, I became one as soon as I discovered the project.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
Not right now
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
Not in any of my current capacities
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Definitely maybe ;)