Laundry Techniques for low resource usage environments Overview: http://opensourceecology.org/w/images/d/dd/Laundry.pdf
- Hand Agitation (no power) 5 Gal bucket + http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Washer-Manual-Washing-Machine/dp/B002QUAPSO/ <---- can be made with 3d printer
- Foot Agitation: http://www.designboom.com/design/giradora-foot-powered-washer-and-spin-dryer/ and http://www.yirego.com
- Pressure-based: http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundry-Alternative-Wonderwash-SpinDryer/dp/B002C8HR9A (or build your own sturdier better design). This device will clean cotton quickly without agitation because it uses pressure to force the detergent into the fabric using a sealed vessel and hand pump. This is the same principle the above plunger device works on. It is quicker with warm water, though warm water is not required.
- Bicycle powered laundry: http://greenbuildingelements.com/2007/05/30/weekly-diy-pedal-powered-clothes-washer/ , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le85KjalzwM
- Efficient commercial front-loading, or European style top loading models, used with line drying.
- Ultrasonic: http://www.dolfi.co/
- Drying for these methods: Before line drying use a centrifugal dryer http://www.amazon.com/Centrifugal-Clothes-Portable-Spin-Dryer/dp/B002GEDBIG/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk - This is an extremely easy device to manufacture, and assists in the process. It consumes a lower amount of power as it has no heating element. It can also be powered manually or with a bicycle.
See also: Soapnuts