Lawrence J Kueneman
Team Culturing Information
last updated: 25. April, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Lawrence J. (Larry) Kueneman
- Nationality - I was born in Los Angeles, CA. I am 1/4 Irish, 1/4 German, and half hash.
- Location - Idyllwild, Riverside County,California, USA
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) -
l.kueneman (at) verizon (dot) net
I have only used Skype once on my computer.
- Resume/CV -
Larry Kueneman April 2011
P.O. Box 1609
25411 Hotei Lane
Idyllwild, CA 92549-1609
l.kueneman (at) verizon (dot) net
OBJECTIVE: Technical writing with possibly production responsibilities for printed materials.
EXPERIENCE: I am semi-retired from a career in technical publications. From 1962 onward I served as either a technical writer or manager of corporate publications departments for several firms, and have written in upwards of twenty disciplines. These include environmental control systems for Mercury and Gemini, precursors to the Apollo Project, ocean-oil recovery systems, automotive parts catalogs and component assembly instructions, computer printer repair manuals, and others.
For American Honda in Gardena, CA, I designed the parts catalog (and microfiche) formats used by the company since the introduction of the original Civic automobile in 1972 (microfiche was later replaced by an online format, and roll microfilm is almost exclusively used now for genealogy records). Rather than using industry or academic jargon, from the beginning I have made an effort to write in a manner that anyone with a mechanical bent could understand that presented.
From 1977 to 1982 I owned and operated Kueneman Micrographic Services in Reading, PA, but roll microfilming of documents was a dying industry. Here I severely modified an eleven foot tall camera that had been in a flood, used it for several years, and sold it to my largest customer for six times what I had paid for it.
I have thoroughly enjoyed each of my related positions, and the only negative action I have taken was that based on the fact that I had saved a printed copy of every document I had ever written: at one point following my retirement, I took 14,000 pages to the dump.
ACTIVITIES: I am currently active with the Idyllwild Arts Associates, a group that raises money for scholarships for students attending the Idyllwild Arts Foundation school (presently, tuition is $40,000 a year). One of our efforts is the Idyllwild Jazz Concert Weekend. I am on the committee to build a community center in Idyllwild, and am a founding member and am on the board of directors of the Mountain Communities Fire Safe Council (MCFSC) where I believe we are the only such organization to put $4,000,000 on the ground in fire fuels abatement efforts.
INTERESTS: Perhaps to my disfavor, I am interested in many activities. My wife and I have written six books on the genealogy of our families, I have just finished the writing of a book of philosophy that has taken more than sixty-five years of thinking, and am writing another on forest management, species endangerment, and the economy. I am working with the USFS, CalFire, and Fire Safe Councils toward this end.
- Hobbies and Pastimes - Putting things together and taking them apart, cutting down trees, woodwork, writing, seeing the world, and thinking.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Absolutely! Much of my thinking has to do with the march toward Civilization capitalized in my book), and the ergonomic simplification of life is heading in that direction.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I am strongly interested in such equipments, partially based on my life work, and am working myself (thinking as yet) toward such simplification, which could lead to real innovative advancements.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
I would love to. However, I am contemplative, and don't think well on my feet.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
Only marginally for myself, but toward the advancement of the goal, definitely.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
I might use some of the concepts in building an off-road mobility scooter.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
Not at my age. I am starting a publishing business that my family will be forced to run when I am gone.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
This would be wonderful, and where possible, I would love to participate.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
Not for myself.
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
Not for myself.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Am not in the position to do so.
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
Not in my participation.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
Yes, for local, possibly home use.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
I suspect I would not be of much value here.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
At this point, I don't have a clue what this question refers to.
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
By remaining somewhat low on the political radar until the technology is strong enough to make a jump. Otherwise, political pressure via regulations could cause the goal to be stiffled.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
I am eight hours new to this concept. This will take some thought.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
In conjunction with medical breakthroughs and reduction of global conflicts, populations will climb severely. The availablity of inexpensive tools will make farming more attractive.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
Alone, I see no interference. The use of pesticides and environmentally safe fertilizers must be separately addressed.
- Do you have any other comments that you'd like to make?
Knowing me, I will have. But I will need to learn more.
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
Sorry, I am brand new to this as of today.
- See my resume. I am a technical writer, a desktop publisher, an information architect, and have worked with computers since 1962. I know nothing about marketing and am questionable in front of an audience.
- Publications management, am on the board of a 501(c)(3).
- The concept as stated, reminds me of the village my family came from in Alsace, France, where we visited. I would need to learn more about your goals in this direction.
- Minimal exposure to all of this.
- Have limited experience in architecture and product design. As to the rest, no.
- Having worked on the ground with the Mountain Communities Fire Safe Council, I have taken a chainsaw safety course, and could likely teach one. I have the saw and all the protective gear.
Electronics and Magnetics
- Sadly, no.
- Blacksmithing when I was young would be the limit here.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Am very interested in documentation of efforts, product design, production, assembly, and use instructions.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Flexibility is the key here. My guestimate is that following interviews and photography,about half of the work could be accoplished at home.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Frankly, my only concern would be for gas and parking my travel trailer near wherever I need to be.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
I really have no need for this.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
I wouldn't be wasting my time filling out this form if I wasn't truly excited about the possibilities this effort holds.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
I don't think so.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
I would love to document this, but not live there.