Team Culturing Information
last updated: 17. February, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Lloyd Minick, United States
- Location – Berkeley, California
- Contact Information – firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-569-6947
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV –
Lloyd Minick 1808 Bancroft Way ● Berkeley, CA 94703 ● 512-569-6947 ● email@example.com
- John F. Kennedy University, Master of Arts, Pleasant Hill, CA 2010-present
- M.A. in Integral Psychology
- Southwestern University, Bachelor of Arts, Georgetown, TX 2004-2008
- Major in Psychology, minor in Music
- Two years of Spanish, including summer study abroad in Mexico; conversational and able to read Spanish
Professional Experience (References available upon Request)
- Mauka Builders, Maui, Hawaii 2008-2010
- Worked as part of a crew building custom homes
- Performed carpentry, painting, landscaping, and general labor
- Sticks and Stones Custom Building, Angel Fire, New Mexico 2004-2005
- Worked with team of about 25 men to build $11 Million commercial building
- Performed painting, maintenance, and general labor
- The Loading Dock, Restaurant and Bar, Georgetown, TX 2007
Self-Employment, Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Rental Cars on Maui (not registered business), Maui, Hawaii 2009-2010
- Bought and rented cars with partner, marketed rentals via Craigslist and word-of-mouth
- Earned a 200% return on investment in the first year
- Academic Tutor, Texas and Hawaii 2006-2010
- Worked with students from elementary to college level
- Developed own curricula for tutoring in Math, Music, History, Science, and Social Sciences
- Guitar Instructor, Texas and Hawaii 2004-2010
- Worked with students of various ages, from young children to adults
- Designed my own teaching methods from my self-taught and university-level experience, integrating knowledge of music theory into each lesson
- Marketed myself through strategies involving posters, emails, Craigslist, and word-of-mouth
- Sunglasses Retailer, Angel Fire, New Mexico 2002-2003
- Worked with partner to sell sunglasses at the Angel Fire Ski Resort
- Recognized the demand for affordable eye protection while skiing, skillfully supplied the demand, yielding between 300-400% returns on our investment
MEMBERSHIPS and AFFILIATIONS
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Iota Chapter 2005-present
- Member, Secretary
- Southwestern University Buddhist Meditation Group 2005-2008
- Founder, President
SKILLS and INTERESTS
Computers: Built my own computer, proficient in Word, Power Point, and Excel
Interests: Education, entrepreneurship, sustainability, technology, science, art, music, dance, sports, meditation, travel
- Hobbies and Pastimes -
Graduate school: M.A. in Integral Psychology.
Swing dancing and blues dancing.
Learning about all kinds of things, especially psychology, philosophy, Buddhism, science, technology, economics, history, sustainability, permaculture, education, Integral Theory, etc.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes. I am a True Fan of Open Source Ecology, and I actively endorse the open-source movement in general.
- Why are you interested in this work?
I am interested in helping to create a more sustainable and just society, and I believe that the work that OSE is doing with open source appropriate technologies coupled with permaculture design principles is incredibly important in that regard.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
Yes, very much. I enjoy teaching in general, and I love teaching people about the GVCS and the possibilities it creates in the world.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
Yes, very much. I would love to see a decentralization/popularization of economic power and a proliferation of opportunities for creative, sustainable, ecologically- and socially- just, productive work.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Yes, I would love to learn how to build the entire GVCS. I would like to use the GVCS to build advanced, off-grid, high-tech, resilient communities and schools, as well as to transform existing unsustainable and socially/culturally/environmentally destructive urban settings.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
Yes, especially private schools consisting of off-grid campuses and integral curricula for integrated, thriving humans in the 21st century. I would also like to start a venture capital firm that invests in the creation of new businesses which employ GVCS technologies. I would also like to see/create new enterprises based on worker-cooperative models using the GVCS technologies.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
Yes, I am very interested in applications of the GVCS to third world development. I would like to help create programs (e.g. through the Peace Corp and/or similar organizations) which would help build communities, schools, and businesses in the developing world while simultaneously teaching the peoples there how to use and build the GVCS, empowering them to adapt, expand, and replicate the GVCS and sustainable community, school, and business models in their respective regions.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
Yes, very much. Although I do not yet have much experience with CNC machining and flexible fabrication, I have some experience in entrepreneurship and in general am very interested in creating businesses which are not only profitable but also ecologically- and socially- responsible.
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
Yes. I believe that improving access to healthy, sustainably raised foods is one of the best things we can do for our society, and I think that local food production is not only environmentally responsible, but also desirable because of the freedom that comes with self-reliance.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Yes. I am currently writing a paper which analyzes OSE and the GVCS from the perspective of Integral Theory. I am also interested in developing as my Master's thesis a proposal for a K-Ph.D education model based on this work.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Yes. I would not only be interested in investing in enterprises created with GVCS technologies, but I would also be interested in creating a venture capital firm for the purpose of facilitating the creation of new businesses based on the GVCS technologies and open source business models.
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
Yes. I can see huge potential for the GVCS to lower the cost of productive capital and thereby lower the barriers to entry into much of the market place. This, combined with the high diversity of productive endeavors made possible by the flexible fabrication infrastructure of the GVCS, will create radical opportunity for entrepreneurship. My hope is that this will result in a greater distribution of wealth in society and that people everywhere will have increased opportunities for creative, self-empowered, productive work.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
Yes, although I do not have much experience in engineering or building energy production facilities/technologies.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes, very much. I would like to live and work in such a community, and I would like to help others build them all over the world.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
Not particularly, although I am very interested in building myself a nice home (possibly Earthship) using GVCS technologies.
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
I think that increased community self-reliance will make people less vulnerable to the damaging effects of unstable, global monetary systems. Complete local self-reliance for meeting basic needs, coupled with the use of local currencies, could eliminate peoples' dependence on national currencies and (inter)national financial markets.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
The GVCS makes it possible for communities to meet their basic needs from local, and potentially non-scarce, resources. This eliminates the pressures to kill, rob, enslave, exploit , or coerce others for their resources.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
I think that the GVCS can help alleviate the problems of overpopulation by providing low-cost, effective tools for providing basic needs, which could help many people escape the hunger, thirst, malnutrition, and other symptoms of poverty that plague the most overpopulated regions. I think that the GVCS can also help prevent further overpopulation by creating possibilities for people to efficiently and sustainably meet their own needs (in balance with the local resource feedback loops) which would alleviate the incentives for people to have multiple children in attempts to ensure more hands to work to provide for the family. Fewer hands will be needed to provide for the family's needs because of the productive efficiency of the GVCS; and since the resource feedstocks that the family is depending on for survival are very localized, it will be easier to see how having too many children would deplete the local life-support systems.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
The principles of permaculture and "permafacture" call for systems designs which are in balance with the surrounding environment and which can be perpetuated indefinitely in a given space. The GVCS could support the development of communities which adhere to these permaculture and permafacture design principles, thereby creating models with which society can thrive indefinitely without depleting and degrading natural resources.
- Other comments
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
I helped organize Marcin's lecture tour in the San Francisco Bay Area in November 2010. I helped market the tour, I hosted one of the lectures at my house, and I drove Marcin to various meetings during one of the days of his tour. Furthermore, I have been a True Fan since mid-2010. Moreover, I have actively endorsed the work of OSE via Facebook and word-of-mouth, which has hopefully resulted in some new True Fans.
- I am fairly good at writing in general and at editing/proof-reading text documents.
- I would be interested in helping to create a social contract for a prototypical GVCS village.
- I have a small amount of experience cooking for groups of about 10 people, and I have some modest gardening experience.
- I worked as a laborer in the home-building industry for a couple years and have some proficiency with power tools and basic carpentry.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I would most like to help by developing curricula and learning tools by which people can learn to build and apply the GVCS technologies. I would be very interested in helping design the 2-year immersion training programs and the more long-term K-Ph.D Renaissance Education model planned for the Factor-e Farm.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
I can currently volunteer 2-3 hours per week. I would be interested in more intense volunteer stints in the future.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
I would be interested in working with you for pay. I have a membership at the Tech Shop in San Francisco, and as I acquire more skills I will be able to fabricate some machine components at the Tech Shop. I would love to get at least $20 - $30 per hour for my fabrication work, but am very willing to negotiate on a project by project basis.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
Perhaps in the future, especially in the role of teacher and curriculum development advisor for the 2-year immersion training program or the K-Ph.D. Renaissance Education program.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
Yes, especially in the future. However, I cannot make much use of most of the technologies at this time as I am currently living in downtown Berkeley and going to graduate school.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Yes, I would be very interested in participating in this grand experiment.