Lumber Cost Per Board Foot
A board foot is a unit of measurement. It measures volume of lumber - 1 inch thick piece of lumber, 12 inches wide, 1 foot long. That is a volume of 144 cubic inches.
A 2x4x8' standard lumber is $6.45 today (March 2021). This is 2-3 times higher than normal.
What does a 2x4x8 above cost per board foot? 2x4 is 1.5x3.5x96 = 504 cu in = 3.5 board feet. That means lumber as such is about $2/ board foot.
Cost of Rough Milled Lumber
- This one in New York is doing $5.33 for a 2x4 - but it's a bit larger - 1.75x3.75x96. Not sure how they are getting the BF price, but it's higher than $1/bf. 
Board Feet Per Hour
- 100 at 10 hp - . If that is really true -
- 250 at 19 hp and power feed, one person doing dimensional lumber and stacking - 
- Woodmizer LT40 (24 hp onan) - 300-400 bf/hr with one helper - 
- 1000 bf/day, 5 gallons of fuel 
- LT40, 2000 bf/day 
- Sawmill shootout - 
Say you make 125 bf/hr. That is 35 2x4x per hour. At current (Mar 2021) rates around $6/stick - that is a value of $214/hr. So if you are paying a sawyer anywhere less than $215/hr - you are winning.
The value goes up drastically with a larger sawmill, with 2000bf, 250 bf/hr.
- Sawmills - map