Mailing List Requirements
- Embeddable Signup box that can be embedded in any site via HTML - so that capture of emails is very easy
- Function is broadcasting announcements. Simple one way communication, for ongoing OSE activity.
- Ability to manage multiple lists readily: announcements, news, etc. The regular email list for regulars. One should be for dedicated followers (true fans, etc) and another for the general public, media.
- Allows users to unsubscribe themselves, via a link at the end of an email.
- Infinitely scalable, and immediately usable with 100,000 users
- Well documented and well-supported software, with good potential of long life (decades into the future)
- An OSE-specific instructional is available for managing the list
- Allows unlimited sending of messages
- Once a person signs up themselves, email spam filters do not catch emails
- Allows a backup dump of all subscribers
- Allows plain text
- One way list
- Bounced message reports are available via interface
- Easy interface for managing message composition, preferably with a standard template for emails
- Allows HTML embed in email
- @opensourceecology.org domain name - if possible
- Allows a well-formatted embed of newsletter into other websites, such as blog or wiki
- Removes users automatically if mail address fails permanently (no longer a valid email)