Margaret Ida Havens
Team Culturing Information
WHO are you?
- Name Margaret Ida Havens
- Location Cameron, MO
- email peggyi96@yahoolcom
- skype margaret.ida
- Introductory Video
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture? I really feel that ideas and knowledge belong to everybody. They are the raw materials from which things are created by everybody and for everybody. They should be freely shared and made available so anybody who so desires can use their talents to expand, create, and contribute.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us? You not only have the concept in theory and are promoting it, you are bringing it into reality and living it.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
The most pressing world issues, in my mind, are matters of perspective. People need to stop seeing themselves as victims being acted upon by other people and circumstances. With readily available resources, they learn to see themselves as active and self-reliant individuals with their own unique contributions to make - for their own, their family's, and their community's best interests.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project? Not much really. We would need to identify places where I could contribute. And I should order my time use more effectively.
- What is missing in the project? Infrastructure. Order. Delegation.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project? Get some team members to address basic human needs issues so those members working on design and fabrication, public relations and finances, documentation and website issues are free to do so. Order and execute plans for the development of both the community and the equipment based on immediate needs.
WHAT are your skills?
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Communications: I can speak and write fluently in English and quite well in Spanish (have some proficiency in French and a smattering of German). Not afraid of public speaking. Good at using alternative perspectives to clarify others' understanding.
Organizational: I organize living, work and storage areas for efficiency and accessibility. I can also identify and order priorities and dependencies for small to moderate sized projects. I have applied these skills in a variety of personal and community situations.
Computer Support: I am computer literate and understand to basics of what programming can do, but do not program myself.
Finances: I know the basics of accounting. I raised a family of 6 boys on an income at or under the US-defined 'poverty level.' I am now debt-free. I keep my own books and my business books - but I don't love doing it!
Design - I am good at designing alternate adaptations. I can take a set of parameters and brainstorm possible solutions, but feel more competent as a collaborator. Function is the first consideration, but I do consider the esthetics of the finished project, too.
Natural Building: I understand some of the concepts but have not researched details nor applied them in my adult life.
Electronics: I have some basic understanding of electronics gained when I dabbled in it a little bit over 40 years ago. Today, I troubleshoot minor problems and take major ones to an 'expert.'
Automation: No skills relating to computer or robotic programing. I can identify and create an assembly line pattern for completing repetative tasks.
Metallurgy: No major skills. I can solder wires and plumbing joints.
Engineering: No significant skills or studies.
Fabrication: I can fabricate food, clothing, shelving, pretty things, and assemble just about anything for which I have instructions and the requisite skills.
Agriculture: I plan and tend family-sized truck gardens with fruit trees and berry bushes wherever I live, but have not gotten into any animal husbandry.
Energy: I've been intersted in alternative energy sources - think a combination of solar and wind for electricity - and earth and power for heat/cooling - would be cool to set up. I experienced my early life in a home with some of these principles in the design.
Architecture: I have been interested in the design of space for efficient and effective uses and traffic flows and can do some basic drafting, but have not pursued learning in the area of building materials and their specs.
Video/Graphics/Art: I learned and practiced principles of lighting and staging in college (late 1960's). Also dealt with audio and video recording and editing in radio and television production then. Have recently been learning about working with digital formats. Art? -My results seem to show more skill that I have tended to believe I have inately.
PR/Marketing: I can write good copy. In the last several of years I have learned a lot about marketing and pulled together a bunch of PR-related experience. I can collaborate effectively, but don't feel competent as lead.
Education: This is my latest passion. - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design
- How have you already contributed to the project?
I spent a couple of hours filling out the skills question - then when I went to save, the program had kicked me out! Maybe I'll try again one day!
Mindmap and spreadsheet on wiki for planning, workflow, and cost estimates for workshop and supply shed - in collaboration with David Ihnen
Helped with surveying for hab/lab project.
Lent generator and gas.
Brought/sent food a few times.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Any way that seems valuable to you. Perhaps some of my organizational and prioritizing skills would be a good start.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Yes. Depends on what else comes up in my life, but I'm pretty flexible.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Mostly I just like to be involved in good works and helping out. Money is nice sometimes, too - so I do odd helping jobs in my community at a rate of $15/hr.
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit?
I live nearby and have been over to the Factor-e Farm.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
I would like one of the little walk-behind machines for my own property.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Not at present. I'm more of a personal contributor than a money contributor.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
40-hours a week? Not really. I'll put in time and work on an ad lib, prn basis. But at this time I want to keep myself flexible to be able to put time and effort into other interests, too.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology.
At this time I don't see myself moving on site with your community. I just moved to my present location and am happy with where I am and the community I have here.