Team Culturing Information
last updated: 10. May, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Mark A. Hopewell
- Location (city, country) - Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado, USA
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) -
mark (at) catsco-online (dot) com
- Resume/CV - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r26rWEVFvlqfLNUfaSPoH1R4l1S7YlkzXSTIMun9Bio/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLT02tEO
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes - technical information and access to tools for living has gotten less common in (our) culture that has sometimes forgotten how to acquire skills and tools that are appropriate for the work at hand.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I want to help alleviate some of the justice issues and practical barriers to allow every human to be able to have basic needs more easily met so they can more fully realize their potential and do what they want to do.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
It's been shown that if a family doesn't have to spend most of their time obtaining necessities and attain a higher level of education that family sizes tend to be smaller. Easier access to mechanization of hard labor may help that. Conflict is often because of resource scarcity; GVCS won't help that, but will help people not spend a lot of time on hard physical work to raise food and build adequate housing if low enough cost mechanization is available.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
With collaboration as it seems to be happening for GVCS, specific tasks would be helpful so there isn't a lot of duplication and reinvention of things that are already available, and some oversight of the framework of what is being done by all is needed.
- What are you missing in the project?
Don't know enough to miss anything yet!
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
Don't have enough knowledge about it at this time to make specific suggestions
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Organizational - I've been the manager of large building projects for a hospital and refurbishing of blast protection system at a military facility.
Design/Architecture - we designed and built (actually built!) our own house. Exterior shots can be seen at http://www.catsco-online.com/15731/15793.html
Prototyping and modeling - modest experience with additive manufacturing of models and prototypes using Shapeways 3D printing with various materials.
See Resume Above
- How have you already contributed to the project?
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Yes - My interest is in possibly building models to show the concept to folks who don't understand 2D fabrication design drawings. Might be helpful for local fabrication in the developing world.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Three to four hours per week, more later.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Yes - I have the ability to make 3D files (mostly AutoCAD) that can be made with additive manufacturing processes. Hourly rate I charge is usually $30 to $50 per hour, less if very interesting work with a non-profit value to many. Model costs are only whatever production facilities charge for 3D printing of parts.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
Not at this time.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
No - will consider before long; living on interest income, and that has dropped about 80% recently. Have enough to live on, but little to spare after current non-profit commitments.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
Possibly - cannot relocate at this time, but all work I now do is collaborative online only with visits as required. No aversion to frequent travel at all.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
I already own a sort of "open source" tractor. Take a look at www.power-trac.comHardly local, but the hydraulic drive and lift systems running from one engine and construction from steel plate with all parts easily available is similar to what I've seen in GVCS.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Yes - depends upon the timing.