Team Culturing Information
last updated: 17. June, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Marshall Smith
- Location (city, country) - Semmes, AL
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) - marshall (dot) ds (at) gmail (dot) com
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV - (google doc)
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
I think open source is a great model for a great many things.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
The opportunity to help develop a system that can have revolutionary impact on local economies. And also because I'm interested in what it would take to increase my own economic independence.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
Decentralizing economies means decentralizing power which means more democracy and more freedom. In a world where it's easier to provide for your own needs it is harder for someone to control you though controlling your supply.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
Opportunities to use my strengths to move the project forward.
- What are you missing in the project?
not sure yet.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
Clearer organization and better utilization of off-site help.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Communications - Can make pretty powerpoint/keynote presentations
Organizational - While getting an MBA I took several classes on organizational development. I'm good at viewing things abstractly to find patterns. Also really good with Excel.
Computer Support - I can usually support my own system.
Finances - I know way more than I want to.
Agriculture - I've done a lot of gardening. Would like to know how to do it way more efficiently.
Video/Graphics/Art - Proficient in Premere/Final Cut/Photoshop/HTML/CSS/js/php. Experienced in all aspects of broadcasting.
PR/Marketing - have MBA. Have done several marketing plans.
Education - good at teaching. Not a fan of government schools or the methods of instruction general found within.
- How have you already contributed to the project?
Discussions with Chris, Vann, and others.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Off-site volunteer management.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Absolutely. I would work full time for salary. Because of the non-profit nature of the organization and my support of the mission I would be willing to take less than a market salary.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
quite possibly in the near future.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Don't have money right now.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
See question about working for pay.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
not at this time.