Team Culturing Information
last updated: 20. August, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name - Mike Apostol
- Location (city, country) - London, Ontario, Canada
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype)
- e-mail: [Click Here]
- Skype: mike (dot) apostol
- e-mail: [Click Here]
- Introductory Video - http://www.apostol.ca/Mike_video.wmv
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Absolutely. I believe that open collaboration can allow us to accomplish amazing things. It is sharing that is the catalyst for good ideas to grow into great ones.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I first learned about the project by listening to the TED talk, and I immediately knew it was something I wanted to be a part of. I’ve learned a lot about myself, others and humanity as a whole over the past few years through reflective thought, getting into a bit of philosophy, having an insatiable appetite for reading up on the latest scientific/technological developments and my recent travels to different parts of the world.I’ve learned that I want to be part of something bigger than myself. I want to contribute to the global evolution of humanity, of knowledge, in a meaningful and direct way that can immediately help others. I’ve realized that I have the choice between doing this or not doing this and the choice lies directly with me and my resolve to do so. I know that although I am just one person in a world of seven billion people, I can make the difference that exactly one person can make.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
I think there are three ways that GVCS is working to address pressing world issues. The first is the obvious one, in which they are trying to make available the most useful tools for modern day civilization available to anyone that wants it for a fraction of the cost. These tools will provide the means for greater independence from the current first world status quo of infrastructure and at the same time provide tools and knowledge to help those in the third-world leap frog ahead technologically similar to cell phones vs. landlines.Second, GVCS is promoting sustainability through its mantras of using recycled materials and local production which is of utmost importance in our high carbon world of dwindling resources.The third way is that GVCS is contributing to the entire open source phenomenon we see growing in our world. It’s showing how collaboration without borders and for the good of fellow man truly can address some of our needs, providing an alternative to the more monetary, individualistic society we currently have.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
I’d like to know where you guys need help and how my particular skills could assist you.
- What are you missing in the project?
On the "project needs" page, dates for when those were last updated would be useful to determine if projects have died out or are in urgent need. Also, timeline overviews and general project status updates at a glance would be good.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
As much as I like Wiki, I really don’t think it’s the best tool for design project collaboration like this. It is good for when the projects are complete and posting all the final information but if you have a team of people trying to work on something, a different medium would be good. I saw that there was some talk on the forums about this and a link to BetterMeans, so it looks like you guys are looking into this which is good.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
With two years of design engineering experience I am proficient in CAD and drafting and my knowledge of computers is high. Many of my design projects at my previous jobs were of formed, welded and bolted assemblies.
I am a very hands-on person, enjoying all things mechanical and electrical. My electrical knowledge is limited, but I have done small projects with my Arduino prototyping board so I still retain some programming skills.
In general, I am not a specialist in any one area. However, I learn quickly, know where and how to look for information and generally become above average in all the different areas I do apply myself to.
- How have you already contributed to the project?
Currently at FeF working on logistics of the CAD and starting to create models for the Christmas gift to the world.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I would like to help the CAD team develop standards and a library of models in what I'm assuming is going to be FreeCAD.
I'd also like to get involved with some of the hands-on fabrication at the FeF and jump onto or lead one of the projects.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Currently about 6-8hrs per week. After my current contract is complete though at the end of September I should be able to help out more.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Not currently to start out.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
Yes I am. It wouldn't be until mid to end of October though. But depending on my financials I could easily stay for a month or more.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
Not currently but perhaps in the future.
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Not yet, soon!
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
That would be great, but I'd imagine you'd want people on-site and as a Canadian I can only stay in the US for a max of 6 months.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
I hope to eventually.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Unsure at this time if I could commit to that, but I am interested in the idea of it!